Default Annoying interference with speakers.

I got some cheap Ozaki 2.1 speakers off TradeMe for my dads computer. Now everytime he receives or sends a txt or call on his phone the speakers go "bzzzzt bzzt bzzzzt zzzzt" which is really annoying. He still gets this interference even when his phone is up to 3-4m away.

How can I get rid of this interference without investing in a new set of speakers? A friend suggested opening the woofer and wrapping the amp with tin foil. Will that work?
    Revenge Is A Dish Best Served [Cold].

Default Re: Annoying interference with speakers.

Get the same thing here, the radio picks up someone when they use a mobile, when its nearby.

Pedant and proud of it

It might help. (Be careful to have insulation between the amp and the foil ... you might "fix" it by shorting it and letting the smoke out). But that won't stop the RF signal getting into the amplifier through the leads. There are ferrite units available which can be clipped around cables to help there, but they might cost more than the speakers.

For some reason, NZ doesn't require equipment to meet EMC standards. So junk is imported. It's cheap because it can't be sold in many countries.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_f90 View Post
    I got some cheap Ozaki 2.1 speakers off TradeMe for my dads computer. Now everytime he receives or sends a txt or call on his phone the speakers go "bzzzzt bzzt bzzzzt zzzzt" which is really annoying. He still gets this interference even when his phone is up to 3-4m away.

How can I get rid of this interference without investing in a new set of speakers? A friend suggested opening the woofer and wrapping the amp with tin foil. Will that work?
    Yup, I get the buzzing too. Its not that annoying is it? Its only for 2secs at most. Dont know about the tin foil though but it would work I suppose.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

It goes on for around 5 secs on my dads speakers and it's REALLY loud (5x the speakers volume). I'll try the tin foil tomorrow.

I always know in advance when I'm getting a text on my Voda, it upsets my radio. But Telecom does not do it obviously they use different frequencies.
    If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Brook Waimarama sanctuary
    3D printing

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I always know in advance when I'm getting a text on my Voda, it upsets my radio. But Telecom does not do it obviously they use different frequencies.
    And completely different technologies- CDMA vs GSM
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Alright I've wrapped tin foil around the tiny amp and now it makes a different sound, sort of "crrrrt grrrrt crrrrt" lol.

I guess I'll have to tell my dad to try to get hold of a non-GSM phone or some magnetically shielded speakers.

I think maybe the speakers would be cheaper. Or perhaps just keeping the phone further away from the speakers or putting the phone in a drawer lined with tin foil.

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax34 View Post
    I think maybe the speakers would be cheaper. Or perhaps just keeping the phone further away from the speakers or putting the phone in a drawer lined with tin foil.
    Of course, putting the phoone in a foil-lined drawer will probably significantly reduce its ability to receive messages/calls, if it is able to at all.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.