Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Distance Paihia to Russell by road?

Hi Team

I have been trying without success to find the distance by road from Paihia to Russell, but Road Atlases don't seem to think it is worth recording, and Google knows naught but the ferry.

The most accurate distance I have found is 44km (taken from the Reed NZ Atlas which has amazing detail but fails to record the distance from Orongo Bay to Russell) but I think it is closer to 50km.

Has anybody driven it recently, and if so, how far is it and about how long does it take?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Default Re: Distance Paihia to Russell by road?

I tried the coast road a mon the or so ago, just to see what it was like. We gave up and headed back to Russell because we all stared getting car sick! It's pretty curvey.

Unless you have a reason to go around the coast, rather than using the ferry, it is better to use the ferry.

Internet speed having dropped for some reason - perhaps it could have something to do with being over my limit for the month - I'll give you a couple of links that may help rather than try to find the answer:

http://www.wises.co.nz/

http://www.aamaps.co.nz/

Thanks Bruce. It's just Mrs T and myself travelling and we don't really want to do the ferry, it is so boring, do it once and die. We have done a lot of back-roads over the years and neither of us has ever felt carsick so we should be OK.

We had to do the Waipoua Forest road at warp speed in the dark a couple of years back to make a time commitment at Omapere and that is 30Ks of the windiest road you'll ever see. In this case we won't be in a hurry and will be stopping from time to time anyway.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

49.77km according to Tumonz route planning, Paihia Wharf to Russell Wharf.
    "Heres my ten cents, my two cents are free."

Lat-41.500s.#Lon-173.956e

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    Hi Team

I have been trying without success to find the distance by road from Paihia to Russell, but Road Atlases don't seem to think it is worth recording, and Google knows naught but the ferry.

The most accurate distance I have found is 44km (taken from the Reed NZ Atlas which has amazing detail but fails to record the distance from Orongo Bay to Russell) but I think it is closer to 50km.

Has anybody driven it recently, and if so, how far is it and about how long does it take?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Hi Billy T,
    try ''Google maps NZ''. Excellent km measurements.

Yeah it's pretty near on 50km. Seriously though, if you want to do the drive, ferry one way, drive the other. Don't do it both ways, it's really slow going, especially since the floods last year.

Okay, here's the oil:

Mrs T and I did the journey last weekend and it is 55km exactly from Paihia to Russell's "City limits." There are 17km of unsealed road to negotiate over the saddle between Karetu and the turnoff to Tutaematai/Whangaruru Sth/Whangarei via Helena Bay (turn left for Russell, right for Whangarei) but it is a nice road, winding of course, but in fairly good condition. No suggestions of car sickness at all, and we met only 10 cars total over that stretch, there and back. It took exactly one hour each way (so we averaged 55km/hr, but we were dawdling) and it sure beats a ferry ride for general interest and scenery. If you have the time, I recommend the trip.

As an aside, we saw more idiot boy-racer types trying to kill themselves by overtaking on blind corners etc around Paihia and Russell than I've seen around Auckland in a long time. Must be something in the air up there.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    If you have the time, I recommend the trip.
    As do I. Although one way is enough imo.

Quote Originally Posted by roddy_boy View Post
    As do I. Although one way is enough imo.
    I agree if you are strapped for time or don't have an inquisitive nature, but return trips on the same road often give a different perspective and you sometimes pick up gems you didn't see at first, in this case the Karetu township which was not visible (or we didn't notice it) on the trip out so we didn't try the road, but on the way back we could see it through the trees and it was only half a K or so away. There are some good views from the top of the saddle that you don't see until returning as well.

However, I appreciate that it is not a route that everybody would like, especially if not used to unsealed roads. I learned to drive in the unlikely (and unstable) combination of a gutless VW on unsealed roads so I quite enjoy the feeling of looseness you get and the way the car moves around. I wouldn't send a Yank in a campervan around there though!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)