Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default Re: Good reliable cars <$1000

We have a 92 Mazda Familia 1.3L auto. 4 door sedan like $5-6k in 1995. Its fine .. a bit of rust near the trunk reparied and returning .. but engine is fine, no smoke .. smooth. Not sure about the kms .. my guess was it was counterfeited and the drivers door needs a separate key to the engine .. the car's prob hit in an accident .. and the door needs a harder slam to shut ..

Just don't take to land transport for WOF Or is that Vehicle Testing NZ.
    No major stuff repaired really just the usuals .. belts and CV joints and the resoldering of the muffler attachment (its arm) or something .. were the biggest.

Not sure how much that is worth now ..
    Its a 1992 so we would like it to work until 2012.

Its not the main car .. but anyway I am not a freq driver anyway .. and its not used for the highway either. Maybe the w'end car to the supermarket .. or the mall or the library .. etc.
    Last edited by Nomad; 23-01-2008 at 10:58 PM.

I'm never getting Familia again. That thing attracts damn thieves everywhere. My dad had one for his business - after 3 years, it got stolen. Insurance bought us another Familia - it got stolen again after just 2 weeks.

Bad luck, I guess, but I'm not taking chances.
    Meh....

Wanderer

We don't even have rear speakers .. (the back fabric isn't even cut there are wooden speaker frames underneath it) appears never been used like that way .. and the stereo deck is just the factory one .. there is nothing value in the car .. with small 13 inch tyres if not mistaken .. those skinny ones, no alloy wheels and the original small muffler.

Its a good old cassette deck
    Never been broken into .. well I don't really go to clubs and stuff anyway, it was the car when I learnt to drive.
    Last edited by Nomad; 23-01-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    If you are not car-savvy, there is a brand of person specially bred and trained to prey on you. They are always ready for one more sucker.
    What do you mean by that statement?
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------

Heck is a place for people who don't believe in gosh.

Get a Nissan station wagon. I sold my old one a few years ago for 950. It was in great condition, paid for my PC at the time.
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by dolby digital View Post
    As above, get a Corolla. Pctek's has been to the moon and back 25 times
    Yep.

I've always had cheap cars. Maybe not under $1000 but always under $1500. Except once but that was a classic.

Toyotas. They go and go.....

Eventually mine will get some expensive fault but hey, you through them away and buy another one then.

Did buy one for $450 once. It lasted quite a while considering its motor ate oil when I bought it. I got 2 years out of it before it died on the motorway one day. Still managed to get me home, albeit at 20 miles an hour making sick noises.

Best to get one off Trademe if looking at that sort of budget. Its pretty easy to do in Auckland.

My last Toyota was sold cheap because it had paint leprosy. The couple were getting a new family member shortly and didn't want to be seen in it. I painted it with Solarguard and it went happily ever after, well until I killed it with a Cortina anyway.

It had nothing at all wrong with it. That was $1200. PLus $40 for the paint job.
    Last edited by pctek; 24-01-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Yes, its a silly question, any car you can buy for under $1,000 is going to be so old and worn out that comparsion between brands are meaningless.

But in general I have found Nissan's to be very reliable.

Regards

Digby

Yeah - I have to agree with many of the comments about Toyota's. They go and go. I had an early Corolla once that cost me $300 and went straight through warrants - but looked so crappy that the cops used to stop me all the time and check my WoF and rego. But it just went and went. Started first pop all the time.

I've got an Alfa Romeo and I wouldn't change it for the world - but then my mechanic gives me credit...
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Quote Originally Posted by Deane F View Post
    I had an early Corolla once that cost me $300 and went straight through warrants - but looked so crappy that the cops used to stop me all the time and check my WoF and rego. But it just went and went. Started first pop all the time.
    That reminds me of my mum, she's in her 50's and was travelling with her friend. The cops pulled her over took her details, said 'have a nice day' and left.

Never knew why...
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Looks like I'm gonna be going for a Corolla then.

Any particular ones? There are FX GTs etc etc etc.....?
    Meh....