Exclamation windows vista ultimate activation error!

dad bought this laptop on trademe, auction number 132315299.

it said that it comes with windows vista license key (the activation key or whatever you guys call it).

when he receive the laptop the CD key sticker which should be at the bottom of the laptop was gone. and at the right corner of the laptop has a sticker of "windows vista basic" which tells me that the laptop was first issued with vista basic on.

when he receive the laptop it did came with vista ultimate preinstalled, with a product key containing "OEM" and right next to the product key shows the icon of "genuine" which tell me that the thing is real.

something about the format of the product key tells me that something is wrong even vista said it is genuine. i downloaded a product key checking software and it showed up the right windows version but a different product key which looks right (format wise).

dad really want me to reinstall the system, but i only have a vista bussiness CD so i can only put on the vista bussiness.

what came out shocked me. the installation CD was for vista bussiness ( at least on my laptop it is), but after the installation it came up as vista ultimate!

it came with a default "OEM" CD key, which is exactly the same as the "genuine" CD key before I reinstall the system.

now here comes the problem, it keeps telling me that the product key (CD key) is invalid. then i used the CD key detected by the software before the reinstallation, the following error showed up:

error code: 0xC004E003

description:
    the software licensing service reported that license evaluation failed.

so what should i do now? any recommendations?

if the original "OEM" product key is genuine before i reinstall the system, how come it is not valid anymore after i reinstall the system?

what should i do? how can i make it valid again?

thanks in advance. cheers!
    ASUS G74SX-A1
    Core i7 2630-QM
    14GB DDR3
    Nvidia GTX 560M
    OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB

Computer Tech

Default Re: windows vista ultimate activation error!

Sounds dodgey to me! New user on TradeMe with no feedback is always a sign to be careful.

Being a Compaq laptop it would have originaly been supplied with one of the Windows Vista versions (most likely Home Basic as you said).
    Why would someone remove the COA sticker from the bottom?

If they did not supply you with a COA sticker or original box with product key for Windows Vista Ultimate it is most likely a pirated version.
    Probably using the OEM BIOS emulator crack or similar.

You can use a Vista DVD to install any version of Vista you like. It will automatically install the correct version once you put in your product key or you can install any version without a product key and it will run for 30 days.

Look thru some of these

Or ring MS

Firstly, Vista installation media is the same for all retail versions - i.e you can use a Vista Home Basic DVD to install Vista Ultimate, if you have an Ultimate key.

What it sounds like is the seller has installed Ultimate using the dodgy OEM-key technique - using the OEM keys issued to computer manufacturers by Microsoft, so they don't have to manually enter a different licence key into each machine. This is certainly illegal, especially since the laptop says it should have Home Basic on it.

The sale of a laptop without a COA, regardless of whether it's new, 2nd hand, through Trademe or whatever, is illegal if Windows is the installed OS. I would suggest that you have a chat to the seller about this, and also report them to Trademe.

It may also pay to report them to Microsoft - https://www.microsoft.com/resources/...displaylang=en - as in the past they have rewarded people for reporting sellers of pirated software with genuine licences.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post

The sale of a laptop without a COA, regardless of whether it's new, 2nd hand, through Trademe or whatever, is illegal if Windows is the installed OS. I would suggest that you have a chat to the seller about this, and also report them to Trademe.

It may also pay to report them to Microsoft - https://www.microsoft.com/resources/...displaylang=en - as in the past they have rewarded people for reporting sellers of pirated software with genuine licences.

thanks so much! now i know my rights, the seller is doggy.

i did ring the MS according to the suggestion of speedy and they spent about an hour trying to fix the problem, during the whole processes i was required to restart windows a few times.

how ever during the process something unexpected happened: the blue screen of death!!

i took a picture of the screen and will post the error code tomorrow.

and by the way i think it is worth it to ring the MS people, although they didn't fix the problem. they are really patient, and gave me a feeling of willingness to help--just like you guys.

cheers, thanks so much.

any other suggestions will be must appreciated.
    ASUS G74SX-A1
    Core i7 2630-QM
    14GB DDR3
    Nvidia GTX 560M
    OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB

Yeah, I rather like MS's phone support. The 4 times I've called they have been decent help.

If only Telecom can follow....
    Meh....

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsxokmijn View Post
    Yeah, I rather like MS's phone support. The 4 times I've called they have been decent help.

If only Telecom can follow....
    Second that MS are usually very good - be honest with them and they will help you if they can - Bull Sh*t them - and forget it .

Telecom ??? who's That these days
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Hi guys, happy new year!

here is the error code:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x2876854D , 0x00000002 , 0x00000000 , 0x8767D0CD)

timerstop.sys - address 8767D0CD base at 8767C000 Datastamp 4585D774

so, what is wrong with it? how can I fix it?

thanks so much in advance, cheers
    ASUS G74SX-A1
    Core i7 2630-QM
    14GB DDR3
    Nvidia GTX 560M
    OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB