Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Firefox is thoroughly convinced its open

Firefox seems to think it's open, when it just isn't, and because of this it refuses to open
    I had to emergency shut down because our computer happened to crash (again) and now I cannot open firefox because it thinks its already open. There is no process for it in task manager and I can't uninstall it, I don't know if its because its a bad uninstaller or if its because it thinks its open but the screen just flickers for a split second and nothing happens. I have tried restarting, logging off, shutting down and all that jazz but nothing has worked so I am guess the solution will be more complex. Can someone help.

Default Re: Firefox is thoroughly convinced its open

Welcome to PressF1 -

Sounds a bit like your profile in firefox is damaged.
    Go to This Site / Forum and follow the instructions to replace your profile.

First open "My Computer" select Tools>Folder Options>View> Select " show Hidden Files & Folders > Click OK

Firefox is located in C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Navigate to the folder containing Firefox as described above and there you will find bookmarks.html - copy this to a safe location, you may want to copy the Bookmarks backup as well.

One other thing you can try is Here Create a new profile then dump the other one. (save bookmarks first) But usually this is only a temp fix as the new profile sometimes can also get damaged right away.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-12-2007 at 04:12 PM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

There is a file in my profiles folder that I can't do anything to. I can't move it or delete it or anything. It gives the error that the file is corrupt or unreadeable. Right clicking it crashes w exploror. Suggestions?

I had a similar prob, last week. But the other way round.

I couldnt close the bloody thing, but it did appear in task manager, and it was using 150mb lol.

I had to kill it

Delete firefox's folders in program files and my documents.

Use ccleaner and click on tools / uninstall and delete its entry, then go to registry / issues.

Scan for issues delete whatever comes up

Delete the mozilla entries in the registry as well (make sure u dont delete anything else).

Then reinstall it.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 08-12-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Start the PC in safe Mode, navigate to the folder and see if that allows you to delete it, if not you can try This Here / remove on reboot it will force the removal.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

My computer freezes on startup in safe mode, left it for ages but it stopped at agp440 file or something . My dad put a password on the "administrator" account anyway though so I don't think I could log in if I remember correctly. I guess it'll have to be the delete on startup option. Also is there a fix for exploror crashing when you right click folders?

I can't install remove on reboot. I tried changing the install directory to desktop but it wouldn't let me because the installers crap. I guess Firefox will just be screwed until my dad comes back. He insists on being the only one with admin privilages which is bloody annoying, maybe he can install remove on reboot or delete the file somehow. The problem is IE crashes *a lot* on our computer, especially when using tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Sir anthony View Post
    My computer freezes on startup in safe mode, left it for ages but it stopped at agp440 file or something

Thats the videocard drivers.

Info here

Altho thats when u install XP, NOT when it has been installed. Could be similar tho.

Which says, it could be because you've got incompatible video drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Sir anthony View Post
    Also is there a fix for explorer crashing when you right click folders?
    That corrupt firefox profile, could be whats causing it.

Or there could be something thats corrupted in email.

Or stuck in email.

Also, it looks like previous versions of Divx can do this too.

Have a read of this
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 08-12-2007 at 04:57 PM.

HOLY SHIZ I AM A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lol not really

Remember kids, Firefox>Windoesn't exploror

Wow. That was easy. All I did was install Firefox in the aptly named w00t directory on the desktop because it stuffed up when I tried to install it over the other installation or whatever I was trying to do, and Firefox frikin pwned that invincible corrupt file and overwrote it or something (who knows?) Bottom line...

Firefox is now up and running again, with all my bookmarks still intact for no apparent reason. May I say wtf?! I <3 firefox installer

Also something very unexpected happened...
    The just doing that freed up 700mb of hdd space which disappeared earlier. Now we're at a grand total of 854mb of free space ^^

So if I decide to delete my installation on the desktop then will that count as an uninstallation? Will it leave any extra files that I don't need that might cause problems later?

Good!

Get ccleaner as well

It'll get rid of the temp files etc, and you might get some more space.