Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Long warranty claim turn around

Not mentioning any names, but a computer store here in CHCH i returned my defective motherboard to a week and a half ago to be replaced, a very good explanation of what was wrong, how i had tested to come to that conclusion, they said it would be here within a week, so I emailed back in a week (friday just gone) and asked about it, only to get a reply saying it had to be sent to Auckland, so would be another week.

Why would this simple procedure take this long? And considering courier is overnight/2 working days from chch-aucks why would waits of more than a week be needed for one motherboard to be replaced. Also, to add to the annoyance, no part was offered (I asked) as a "stand in" while I waited for the part to make its worldwide 2 week long trip around wherever. Making my life more difficult. (currently studying a Diploma based completely on computers)

What is an "acceptable" wait for others for a part to be replaced? Im sure someone could easily top my problem, still, I would like to see other peoples opinions on the matter.
    http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz

Default Re: Long warranty claim turn around

Acceptable is a courier trip there and back, with a day of testing and organising what is to be done in between.

That's a three business day turn-around and that's what (ideally) I would expect. A week (5 business days) is more realistic, but any more than that and they're either lazy, or making you wait for them to get their replacement from their supplier.
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Dragon PC huh?
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

I've had components take 3-4 weeks sometimes to be returned. In cases like that I do have an old clunker of a PC that I loan out to keep the person going if required.

Normally 5 working days is normal, but it also can depend on other things.

What the work load is like for the place that covers the warranty / testing of parts. If they have a lot on, then they don't just jump a warranty job ahead of other jobs, yours get put at the end of the line and worked on when it can. Every ones job is "urgent - cant be without it" so to speak.

Also depends if they have stock on hand to supply you with the same model. Sometimes if they are out of stock they may have to wait to send a
    replacement depending on what s available.

Many people dont read the warranties, giving you a "stand in" would be totally upto the shop you purchased it from, nothing to do with the manufacture of the components. Warranties usually go along the lines of replacement / repair from the manufacture - they all differ. Most shops will send back the faulty part, wait for it to be worked on then return to the customer.

One way to get faster service is when you purchase a PC, see if it has a same / next bussiness day replacement service / contract. This would cost you of course but at least the longest it would be down is 1 working day.

Its not just computers either - My TV busted after 4 months - took five weeks to repair as the part was not available in NZ & because of other work ahead of mine.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    What the work load is like for the place that covers the warranty / testing of parts. If they have a lot on, then they don't just jump a warranty job ahead of other jobs, yours get put at the end of the line and worked on when it can. Every ones job is "urgent - cant be without it" so to speak.
    True.

And who/where it got sent to as well.

just be thankfull its not warranty ex china
    Tweak it till it breaks

Returned a motherboard 2 weeks ago, have had to contact him for updates, which have just pushed the date back for when I can expect the motherboard back. I don't think waiting 2 weeks for a replacement motherboard is acceptable, even if it has had to go to Auckland to be replaced. Still waiting for reply to emails I sent yesterday and today as to the whereabouts of it.
    And btw, no dragonpc, tastech computers.
    Its a motherboard I bought in June, Gigabyte P-965, GA-P965-DS3P i think it was.
    Can I actually do ANYTHING about this? It's really starting to peev me off, doing an IT degree and I can't even use my own computer to work on, Polytechs on the other side of town, so starting to waste a fair bit of petrol going over there to do work.
    Funnily enough you mention dragon, never had problems with warranty with them, when I bought my 2nd to last computer it was from them, there was a 2 week wait on the graphics card, so they gave me a free graphics card (6600gt, wen i had ordered a 6600gt) to fill in that gap! props to them for that
    http://forums.toyspeed.org.nz

That is a long time to wait but I don't think you can blame TasTech for it. The problem is more likely at the other end.

When I had a dud CPU TasTech swapped it for a replacement the very next day with no quibbles whatsoever.

Maybe you could ask TasTech for a contact number where the motherboard was sent so that you could find out for yourself what the delay is.
    Last edited by FoxyMX; 12-10-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Your lucky you got yours in two weeks. when our computer's motherboard got damaged by lightning we took it back to the shop to claim it under the warranty and they ordered a new motherboard from japan/china. 6 weeks had past with no contact so we contacted them and they looked into it and found that the replacement part was being sent by boat! which it should not have been sent by that anyway so they ordered another and it took a 3 days to send by plane and a week to get from Auckland to Christchurch, it ended up that we never got the computer back for 2 months

As I pointed out in a post Number 4 , it can sometimes take 3-4 weeks.

Since its a Gigabyte board the "offical" Gigabyte repair center in NZ is Tech-Master in Auckland, also goes by the name Tech Central.

I don't know if thats where your Motherboard has gone to, but if you called them they may not tell you any way if they even had it. You would need to have the RMA number that was issued to the store in CHCH - they dont work from names, only the RMA's.

IF they do have it, you can't log into the site to check on the statis, as you need to have an account with Morning star - and have been issued with a RMA number.

If you have the RMA number PM me and I can see if I can find it for you.
    Mind you the shop in CHCH could do that also.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-10-2007 at 08:17 PM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum