Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Image Stabilisation

Yes, I have used a FujiFilm 9MPixel, 10.7Optical zoom etc etc that had image stabliser setting and it was useful for quick snapshots.
    Though wouldn't recommend it for photographing something that you want high quality of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    We like to live on the edge.

an old chap i know who is very shaky in the hands recently acquired a camera with image stabilisation built in and he's VERY happy with it.......seems to work..
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Quote Originally Posted by legod View Post
    Anyone got a camera with the new 'image stabilisation' technology? Alot of the new Canon and Sony cameras seem to have this feature.
    Any good? Notice the difference? Worth paying for?
    Both our cameras have IS (Canon S2 IS and Canon A720 IS). We love it, and it's especially useful when using a long optical zoom.
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

Quote Originally Posted by AvonBill View Post
    I have a Sony H5 with 12x optical zoom and optical image stabilisation. It makes a considerable difference particularly at the top end of the telephoto in low light situations. Any of the good camera review sites have examples of pictures taken with and without IS - it does make a difference!
    Yes. I have used two IS cameras, both Canon, and its good. While my Canon does not have it and the only time I really could have used IS was taking pics from a train. What I mean is that it would be nice to have IS but I can live without it.

Of course any low light / slow shutter speed situation will benefit with IS but what I do is hold my breath, stand still, and put the camera into continuous shoot mode (2 to 3 pics per second). Usually I can can get clear pics down to 1/20 of a sec, sometimes down to 1/4 sec, even when not leaning against a wall or other solid object. Putting the cam into continuous shoot mode ensures that at least one of the pics will be sharp.

BTW, what Canon are you considering? When I bought my A630, one of the deciding factors was the size of the CCD - not many people realize that some compact digcams will have larger CCDs and this means a sharper - more detailed photo. The A630 also had reviews that confirmed the higher resolution pics (good lens as well).

I tossed up getting a camera with 10x optical or more. I have two friends that have cams with big zoom lenses, have used their cameras also a 18x zoom in a shop. Really nice! But I wanted a compact camera that I could fit in my pocket or in the glovebox, also wanted one with AA batteries, so this narrowed the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus1 View Post
    BTW, what Canon are you considering?
    I was looking at the Canon SD850 IS just recently. Also the IXUS 75, which doesn't have IS. From what I've read, the IS helps alot with image clarity and to reduce blurriness.
    I'm in the market for a compact/ultracompact.
    > 7 megapixels (most seem to be that anyway).
    Also want video function at 640x480 resolution and will allow me to record until the end of the card capacity (some seem to have a 1 minute clip limit).
    Something the missus can use easily without taking too many dodgy shots. And something with picture quality that will impress me.

Anyone got a camera with the new 'image stabilisation' technology? Alot of the new Canon and Sony cameras seem to have this feature.
    Any good? Notice the difference? Worth paying for?
    I have a Canon S3 IS. The optical image stabilisation is a boon for hand held movie making. It makes for a very watchable result, compared with no IS.

The effectiveness of mechanical stabilisation varies between different cameras, but testing has shown that you can generally expect a 2 - 3 stop advantage.

So, using the usual rule of thumb, at a 35mm focal length you would be able to use a shutter speed as slow as 1/35s without stabilisation but you could go at least as slow as 1/8s with stabilisation. With good technique, you could go even slower than that.

I have taken razor sharp pics handheld at slow shutter speeds that never would have been achievable without stabilisation, so it definitely improves the versatility of a camera. However, a tripod is always a preferable option where possible if you do want to take long exposures.

Also want video function at 640x480 resolution and will allow me to record until the end of the card capacity (some seem to have a 1 minute clip limit).
    I'd recommend Panasonic as their cameras do widescreen and don't have the grainy look that is common on cameras from many competitors, such as Sony's digital cameras. I've heard Canon digital cameras aren't too bad for video either, apparently some record stereo sound.

I was looking at the Canon SD850 IS just recently. Also the IXUS 75,
    Be sure to study the reviews. Google. CNET reviews are a good place to start but there are other places.

IXUS 75 = The good: Excellent high-ISO photo quality * Relatively fast * Above-average movie quality * Face detection
    The bad: Slow shutter response with flash; * Photos tend to have purple fringing * No optical viewfinder

SD850 IS = The good: Great performance and image quality; solid image stabilization; face detection. The bad: No manual exposure controls; on/off button a bit awkward; noisy images at ISO 1,600.

----------------

My comments -

Slow shutter response can be a real pain, annoying!
    Slow flash recharge also a big no no.
    I would always want an optical viewfinder.
    AA batteries - yes.
    Remember that IS will improve pics only with slow shutter speeds. Normal daytime or flash photos do not need IS.

Also remember that even more advanced camera will have an AUTOMATIC mode, so your wife can use it as a point and shoot.