Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long should a laptop last for?

Hi all,

I'm new to this kind of thing and my Acer laptop had issues with the "systems board". I bought it to datacom which has the worst customer service ever! the guy is not even sure it's the system board but talked to me like I was a kid
    Bought my laptop in dec 05 and thought well it's not a "reasonable" that a laptop I paid 2500 should last for!! Acer doesn't think so. I called them up and they said they only expect their laptops to last 12 months! (that's bull!)
    I would never ever recommend or buy a ACER ever again.

What experience has anyone had with taking the matter further?

Default Re: How long should a laptop last for?

Quote Originally Posted by sophanc View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this kind of thing and my Acer laptop had issues with the "systems board". I bought it to datacom which has the worst customer service ever! the guy is not even sure it's the system board but talked to me like I was a kid
    Bought my laptop in dec 05 and thought well it's not a "reasonable" that a laptop I paid 2500 should last for!! Acer doesn't think so. I called them up and they said they only expect their laptops to last 12 months! (that's bull!)
    I would never ever recommend or buy a ACER ever again.

What experience has anyone had with taking the matter further?
    we (my work place) expect a laptop to last 2 to 3 years.
    I have an Acer that is over three years old and runs and looks good as new.
    "Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer!"
    Grand Nagus - Zek

http://brightwork.wordpress.com/

Laptops life span can depend on many things, like how they are treated etc.

I have seen laptops last only 12-18 months, others last lots longer.

I have an acer myself with XP Pro, that is 4 years old, and while slow compared to Laptops these days, it runs perfectly.

I have supplied HP's to customers both in the same company, 1 runs perfectly and its 2 years old, the other died after 13 months, simply because it had been thrown about more.

When contacting HP to see if we could get it fixed under warranty, even though it was only a 1 year warranty,but for customer relations we thought they might fix it since it was only just expired - They inspected it and the reply was very clear.

Exact Quote: "The laptop has a 1 year warranty, 365 days at day 366 we don't really care what happens to it"

Which I thought was #$$*& rude.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 08-08-2007 at 04:51 PM.
    MURPHIES LAW THOUGH ILLOGICAL as per NORMAL IS ACTUALLY THE MOST LOGICAL SOLUTION OF ALL.

New Forum

How long is the warranty? 1 year? OK. Get an extended warranty. An extra $200 for a 3 year warranty? Thats well worth it. [Brand Example] Don't buy a Sony Vaio without an extended warranty. Great machines, but if they break, it's mega $$$ to fix them. Pretty much, as wainuitech said, the day it's out of warranty, the manufacturer doesn't give a damn. Expect the lappy to last as long as the warranty. If you get an extended warranty and it breaks, your covered. If it doesn't break, it's cause you got the extended warranty. (Murphy's law) If you don't get the extended warranty and it breaks out of warranty, thats because you didn't get the extended warranty. If you don't get the extended warranty and it doesn't break, your a lucky bugger.

Ignore that...

I would hope to see a lappy that was treated right last at least 30 months, hopefully longer.
    Last edited by wratterus; 08-08-2007 at 05:03 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by sophanc View Post
    Bought my laptop in dec 05 and thought well it's not a "reasonable" that a laptop I paid 2500 should last for!! Acer doesn't think so. I called them up and they said they only expect their laptops to last 12 months! (
    haha, sorry, but I think thats enormously funny. I only expect the things to last 6 months.
    They agree that they are crap.
    In my opinion Acer is one of the worst there is.

As for how long one should last? Thats like saying how long should a Lada last? Say, compared to a RollsRoyce.

Take a look at the high end Toshibas for instance - they have a 3 year warranty. Gee, I wonder why.

So noone thinks that I have a case under the consumer's act?
    I didn't get the extra warranty coz I didn't think I need it...

Banned

Well there is how long you need it to last
    or
    How long will it last
    or
    How long is it designed to last
    or
    How long till it becomes obsolete
    or
    How long is a piece of string
    The answer would be how long do you want the piece of string to be.

Pedant and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech
    . . . Exact Quote: "The laptop has a 1 year warranty, 365 days at day 366 we don't really care what happens to it"
    What is their policy in leap years?

It's my understanding that under the terms of the Consumer Guarantees Act (which, from the wording of your initial question, I think you are probably aware of), that goods must last a 'reasonable' time, with 'reasonable' being undefined. However, it is clear that the guarantee period is irrelevant when deciding what a reasonable lifetime for an item is. I would think that 18 months for an expensive laptop, assuming it hasn't led a particularly tough life, would be quite a bit more than that. Look through old copies of Consumer, or join their website (have to pay though), and contact the Ministry of Consumer Affairs for advice. If they don't give you advice, at least they will point you in the right direction. Talk to the vendor again, say you're taking it further - small claims court at least - and that you will ask advice every step of the way on every computer forum in the country.
    They may reconsider.

My work laptop - toshiba - lasted 3 years until the motherboard blew. But with that replaced its still rocking on over a year later.
    Whats new on Stuffucanuse.com, and the messageboard?