Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fat32 vs. NTFS on flash drive.

Gidday There

As above, what are the advantages/disadvantges there? I recently formatted my 4gig flash drive in NTFS (was Fat32), and it noticibly sped up deleting times, while transfer times slowed down.

Anyone know which is the best file system for flash drives to have? (No not ext2 all you Linux geeks out there - I know it's better but Windows can't use it easily!)

Thanks!
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Default Re: Fat32 vs. NTFS on flash drive.

Depends on how you use it, but in some situations NTFS can cause permissions problems and lock you out of your own files. Fixable, but annoying. Fat32 is the most compatible.

If you're looking for speed, format it with ReiserFS.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bletch View Post
    If you're looking for speed, format it with ReiserFS.
    Sounds good - will GParted do that?

EDIT: Aren't I still gonna have the same problems with ReiserFS that I do with Windows and ext2?
    Last edited by wratterus; 27-07-2007 at 01:05 PM.

But if you want to boot from it, (if the PC supports booting from USB removable drives), it may not boot when formatted in NTFS either.

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Sounds good - will GParted do that?

EDIT: Aren't I still gonna have the same problems with ReiserFS that I do with Windows and ext2?
    Lol I was joking. ReiserFS is a Linux/Unix filesystem, Windows can't use it. Yes, gparted can do it, although I usually use 'mkfs.reiserfs'.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

I really should double check on these things.....thanks for your input though guys, I think I might chuck it back in Fat32.

I would agree that FAT32 is the preferred file system for a pen drive since it is seen as the universal file system.

I have not tried it but access to ext2/ext3 from XP and Vista is now claimed - see http://www.fs-driver.org/
    # Linux kernel on:
    - Desktop
    3.0GHz AMD A8-3870
    - ASUS Eee 1001PX
    - Samsung S3 Mini Smart Phone
    - Raspberry Pi

As long as your removables is below 32GB, There is no other option but FAT32. Yes, NTFS is safer when it comes to security, blah, blahs, but when it comes to recovery, there is far more utilities that will help you out using FAT32 than NTFS, even a geek like me can do that. Especially when it comes to reparing BP and so on. For NTFS its worse. Yeah yeah, I know many of you do not agree but I do not listen to you, okay?

Best reg

Quote Originally Posted by zainka View Post
    As long as your removables is below 32GB...
    Eh? You can format as FAT32 anything up to about 2TB (yes I do mean terabytes). The 32GB limit on formatting is simply a useless limit that Microsoft added to Windows - just format it with a different program and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bletch
    Eh? You can format as FAT32 anything up to about 2TB (yes I do mean terabytes). The 32GB limit on formatting is simply a useless limit that Microsoft added to Windows - just format it with a different program and you'll be fine.
    Eh your self, ... Thats completely correct but it would be useless if your windows cant read that drive because you use non standard Micro$oft formatting. There have been several reports on people trying to do exactly as you points out but you might get trouble utilizing the entire disk.

Also, formatting a drive with FAT32 which is greater than 32GB will be a waste even if windows did not have any problems reading the drive. The Sector and cluster size will be so big that utilization of the disk makes it not worthy. Therefor, above 32GB, or lets say 64GB to satisfye you a bit (i think windows added support for that later in one of the w2k sp), you better go for NTFS since therer realy aint any alternatives when it comes to Micro$oft (since its hard to add ext support or other system support).

Breg
    Vidar (Z)