Default I got a $200 ticket for a current WOF - beware!

Here's the story: I went to a VTNZ testing station, my car passed and got a new WOF sticker. I checked that the circle was punched out for January, 6 months from now. A few days later I drove to Rotorua for a conference, put money in a parking meter only to return to find a pink ticket with a $200 parking fine. "What a jerk of a meter reader" I thought, there's still 15 minutes left on the meter. Looking closer the ticket stated an out of date WOF. WT*F.???!! The WOF sticker did have January punched out but it was 2007, not 2008. Cr*p! Neither I nor the VTNZ testing guy noticed the wrong year. Its funny how it happens but when there is a glaringly obvious error - the wrong year on a sticker - the mind cannot see it.

So I went to the Rotorua VTNZ, they confirmed it was the mistake of my local VTNZ station, and issued a correct 2008 sticker.

Went to Rotorua police to explain the situation; they told me to go to Rotorua district council where they said it happens a lot (wrong WOF stickers resulting in tickets). So I had to fill out a detailed explanation for the RDC to consider. Back home I went to the local VTNZ and they said at this time of the year there are two books, 2007 and 2008 and the error does happen. I didn't pop my cork at the VTNZ staff for two reasons, the women were attractive and friendly and the guy who issued the wrong sticker is a friend of mine. But I did insist that they fax Rotorua District Council to verify my explanation.

So the next time you get a WOF sticker be sure to check for the correct month and year.

Default Re: I got a $200 ticket for a current WOF - beware!

BTW, you can still get a ticket for WOF offenses (tread depth etc) even though you have a current WOF. The WOF really only says that, on the day it was issued, everything was up to standard. If you do a few burnouts following that, balding one or more of your tyres, you will get a ticket. Happened to a mate of mine many years ago - had an accident, tyres checked OK the week before by VTNZ, but insurance (State) said tyres not up to scratch. Not covered.... Bugger.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Default Re: I got a $200 ticket for a current WOF - beware!

I knew a guy with an EVO who had a special set of tyres he used for burn outs done at a track meet place. Smart.

Burn outs with decent tyres = Stupid. But I guess being stupid is in line with the boy racer image.