Question help-no picture on monitor on boot up !!

Hello people,
    i have a nasty problemmy friends pc suddenly wont show any pic/image/ etc on the monitor on boot up+ im stumped.
    cleaned the unit thoroughly.
    reseated all connections+cards
    the monitor goes into a port which paralell )inside the casing)is a pinkish box-this i take it is an intergrated motherboard video card/output..?
    its a compaq runnin xp/256 memory-bog standard pc
    we got a new pci card-this is like many i have,usb/ethernet/dial up modem etc etc -this has a single monitor input-plugged in=nothing
    point is -if i can get in bios i may be able 2 sort somethin-i dont want 2 guess+just hit buttons in vein hope.
    i noticed that on boot-theres no beep-the kb doesnt flash
    i tried my 2 monitors(on top of her 1)+still no joy
    ive seated/reseated everything-all 3 monitors work fin
    HOW CAN I ACCESS BIOS????
    i couldnt find a jump point on mobo+removal of the battery is a last resort.
    i fully appreciate that these are here 2 help -but so far ive read 82 different reasons this could be happening on several sites+short of the ludicrously obvious-ive been through most,would appreciate help b4 i give mr gates yet more money,cheers,doc

Default Re: help-no picture on monitor on boot up !!

try putting another video card in be it an old pci or agp card .......that MAY get you somethin on screen......it's all a process of elimination.......also unplug everything except the ram/cpu youdont need the cd drive/harddrive/floppy...and any other cards such as modems .........etc.......
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

sorry,its a IQON MULTIMEDIA,apologies,doc

drcspy,cheers for that m8,nice 1

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpsylus View Post
    we got a new pci card-this is like many i have,usb/ethernet/dial up modem etc etc -this has a single monitor input-plugged in=nothing
    So you are saying you have just installed a PCI graphic card into the computer and after that it went pear-shaped? Does this mean your computer now has onboard graphics and the PCI graphic card? Try removing the new PCI card and seeing if it works.

If you dont have immediate access to a spare Video card, listen closely to Hard Drive. Does it sound as if its booting

If no normal clicking noises it is probably MB or Power supply fault

bugger didnt' read it properly......whats happened is that you have plugged in the pci card and expected the pc to use it automatically......you need to plug th e monitor into the 'old' video output this'll bring up your ususal screen.....then go into the bios and set the system to use 'pci' as the video device of choice ....then plug the monitor into the 'new' card and reboot.....
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Importantly as mentioned, does the hard drive spin? If not pretty sure it'll be a power supply problem. Is the power supply switched on at the back of the case?
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.