Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Need Help: "Frequency out of Range"

Hi everybody,

The other day my computer was having problems turning on - it was loud and the monitor would flicker.

Now it doesn't boot up/turn on at all. It sounds fairly normal attempting to boot up, however all I ot was these messages on my monitor saying "Error Frequency Out of Range" and it gave some numbers in Hertz.

It now doesn't get even get that far; now the monitor stays black. The power light stays normal though.

About two weeks ago I added a new mouse and upgraded my cpu - then this happend. I put my old cpu back in and it still does it.

I can't start in safemode, nor enter the bios - the computer doesn't get that far!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Default Re: Need Help: "Frequency out of Range"

Its generally because your resolution or refresh rate is too high for the monitor to support.

You should be able to boot in safe mode though.
    I'd be checking the graphics card/chip.

That usually comes up when the refresh rate is too high.

Not took sure how u can change it if the monitor doesnt come on. Unless there's an AUTO button or something on the front of the monitor.

That can fix it. Try it on another if u have one handy and change the refresh rate.

is it a onboard video or a card are there any beeps on startup if so how many

sounds like the video fault, that msg is when the refresh rate is to high for the monitor (as others have already said).

couple things you could try

first
    press f8 on boot and select vga mode
    the once into the os reset the video card options

second
    try another monitor

third
    if its a card, swap it out, if its on board put a card in

lastly
    reset the bios to defaults check your motherboard manual there is a jumper on the motherboard to do this normally.
    Last edited by beama; 18-06-2007 at 01:19 PM.
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

While your monitor is lit..the light is green and not blinking, use the setup buttons on the monitor and reset it back to default position.

It'll usually repair this problem, but you've gotta reset all your parameters all over again after you get a picture on it. Stick with the 60hz rate for the time being until you see if it all works OK.

And...later when you are setting the refresh rate, click on the "Only show values this monitor can use" or words to that effect. That should keep you outta trouble.

I had a gamer-kid next door get the same problem. He was trying to mess with the anti-aliasing and interlace settings. He had to go back to square one and start all over again...but somehow he forgot about the reset/default button on the monitor.

Hopefully this is your only problem. Have you tried a different monitor?

You might also go into the device manager and remove the drivers for the monitor and then do a cold BIOS boot by pulling the power cord out of the tower and hold in the start button for at least 15 seconds. Then re-plug it in and do a restart normally.

If there's BIOS problem, this'll reset it to factory defaults too. Just an idea.
    Try the easy stuff first..it can get complicated later on if these don't work.
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

Going with what Beama said, are there any POST beeps at all on bootup? If you watch the HDD light on your case, does it look like the PC is booting up at all or does it do nothing?

Even if you're getting the signal out of range error in Windows, you'll still see the POST screens before it starts up.

I'd say your video card is dead, if it's a card try to get another working one to test. If it's onboard, get a working card & install it to test - hopefully the motherboard will default to the card.

The computer does not boot up, so I can't get into safe mode or the bios to try and change settings. I have tried two different monitors and neither work.

I have since swapped out the graphics card and CPU to new ones - and tried the originals again.

There are no beeps at all on start up and now the whole machine doesn't seam to be getting power. The reset button light sometimes comes on solid when I try to start it, or else nothing happens at all.

Could it be my power supply? or could my motherboard have died?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Until you get the computer running, ignore the "frequency out of range" error, it's a red herring.

And yes, it could be the PSU, the CPU, the motherboard. Or all of them.
    The PSU is the easiest to eliminate by replacement, assuming that if it has died it has not taken out other components downstream.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Either or..BOTH are possible.

No fans either?

Do the optical drives even blink when you boot? How about the floppy jewel..no blink there either?

Look behind the tower and see (if you have a NIC)..there'll be at least three, and likely four little (very little!) leds that will light up..they should all be in a row and lit if there's any power.

Is it plugged in? Is the 240/120v switch in the right position?

Remember that the monitor is probably plugged into a different supply...the same wall plate, but the tower is drawing from it's own separate cable as is the monitor..swap plug positions. Try an extension cord from a different receptacle.

Run all the possibilities into the ground and pay attention to any/all results you get. Don't just start throwing $$$ parts at it until you really KNOW what's up.

What you have may be kind of expensive..or not. Hate to see you buy something like a mobo and find the power cord was a defective one.
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

Pedant and proud of it

Unplug the IEC power cord, and plug it in again, firmly.
    Is there a "real" power switch on the back of the case? If so, turn it off, leave it for 30 seconds, then turn it on again.