Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cant connect D-link wireless adsl modem router

we have just bought one of these its a dsl g604T
    have gone thru the setup with the cd and with slingshot and according to them it should work they are stumped, aparently it connected there end for a second then disconnected, we are running windows vista, would that have anything to do with it?
    any ideas on how i can get this to work? or anyone know a walk thru peice by peice instructions on how to install and get working? thanks

Default Re: cant connect D-link wireless adsl modem router

Hi

Just wondering what the event viewer tells you, also are there vista drivers or are you using default drivers that came with the cd.
    Running Vista should not affect the operation as Vista is pretty good at picking up hardware.

Unimatrix013

event viewer?, it came up with an error about username and password or something, but that was all ok, and using default drivers.

Hi

Found the following regarding the modem, don't know if it is relevent to you as it might be out of date but might be worth investigating.

"Beware! These have a catch for the unwary. Out of the box the Wireless is disabled, which means you'll need to plug in a PC with an Ethernet card and a patch cable to first switch the Wireless on. See page 12 of the Quick Start guide available from D-Link. Hopefully D-Link will change this in the next firmware upgrade as it's a real pain for those who only have a Wireless PC to connect to it."

cheers
    Unimatrix013

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

The better routers have a log which can identify connection problems with your ISP i.e. Slingshot. You have probably checked your username/password a hundred times, but are you sure its correct? Have Slingshot reset your password to ensure it is right (although they are better able to tell from their end, if the username/password is wrong).

Could you be in a borderline area for adsl i.e. I presume you are using adsl i.e. Telecom for the wired connection. If you are too far from the exchange, the connection can be borderline but that pretty unusual.

The other thing to try is to reset the router to Factory Settings (usually there is a small button which you hold in as you reboot the router), then run the setup again.
    No cloud is perfect...

ppp connection fail! please confirm the ppp username and password or contact your service provider , this is the error i get when configuring the modem

Your sure that your login information is correct?

Get a Linksys- sorry couldn't help myself
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

yep positive its all correct, even verfied with slingshot, and whats lynksys?

I am not sure how relavent this is, but may I make a comment.

A friend had been using Broadband for some time when it failed. He rang his ISP (Clear) who did some tests and said it must be the modem and sent another. No luck.

Another long session with them (60 - 90 minutes on the phone each time) and they finally said it had to be his computer and (not quite these terms ) told him to begger off.

Now his computer is WiFi enabled and still worked at a local hotspot so we didnt think it was likely so he decided to dump clear and joined Xtra.

The Tech here (10 mins wait) said it appeared to be the DSlam (the roadside box) and would send a tech. 2 days later he arrived and found a faulty port. Replaced a card and he was away.

Now, after some experiences with Xtra, I would not normally give Xtra the time of day but I must confess on this occasion they were excellent.