Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICH Temperature

Default ICH Temperature

I just built a system using the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 CPU and Intel DQ965GFEKR motherboard.

The CPU idles at an OK 50 degrees (never above), but the ICH Temperature reading in the BIOS gets to 65 degrees extremely fast, idling. I'm talking within a minute of turning on from cold, ICH is at 65 (I haven't let it keep climbing, in case it's bad).

WHAT IS the ICH temperature? I've never heard of it and the internet isn't much help.....
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Default Re: ICH Temperature

It's at 75.56 degrees C and rising. I have turned it off until I work out what's going on. The CPU is 46 deg C.
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'vbulletin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Quote Originally Posted by george12 View Post
    WHAT IS the ICH temperature? I've never heard of it and the internet isn't much help.....
    Search harder. The Intel ICH is the so called southbridge chipset on the motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    Search harder. The Intel ICH is the so called southbridge chipset on the motherboard
    Well that probably shouldn't be at 75 degrees C ....

The ICH is what Intel calls the southbridge, whats the cooling like on the motherboard? That temp is very high, chances are the temp diode and reading the temp wrong.

I have the CPU fan with a side case fan opposite on the case, and the power supply fan. Adding more would probably sort it out, I'll do that.

I meant what sort of cooling was on the southbridge, never mind i googled it. The ICH8 doesn't get particularly hot but does require a small passive heatsink, have you made sure the small silver heatsink that comes with the DQ965GFEKR is still attached? It may be worth remounting it and make sure its making correct contact with the chip. As long as theres some airflow in the case then there shouldn't be a problem and its most likely the temp diode misreading the temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete O'Neil View Post
    I meant what sort of cooling was on the southbridge, never mind i googled it. The ICH8 doesn't get particularly hot but does require a small passive heatsink, have you made sure the small silver heatsink that comes with the DQ965GFEKR is still attached? It may be worth remounting it and make sure its making correct contact with the chip. As long as theres some airflow in the case then there shouldn't be a problem and its most likely the temp diode misreading the temp.
    The heatsink is there, it's a pretty big one. I will have a look at remounting it, but I will try upping the airflow first. I expect this system can produce a LOT of heat, so extra flow never hurts.

The ICH would only reach 65+ if the heatsink wasn't mounted properly, its highly unlikely its an airflow issue.

I have an inlet and outlet fan installed now, although there seems to be pretty much no way for the inlet to get any air ....

The CPU now idles at a lower 47 degrees, and the motherboard recognises and can control the fans ....... but the ICH still flies up. When I mentioned the big heatsink I wasn't looking at the ICH. The ICH has a small heatsink but it's solidly attached.

What else should I do? Edit: Read your post, I'm reseating it now. I took off the clamp and it's well-stuck to the chip. Good sign? Bad sign? Or just pull/pry it off?
    Last edited by george12; 12-05-2007 at 03:18 PM.