Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hauppauge WinTV Card: No Audio with A/V Input

I have a new Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE card supplied by BDT. It would not work correctly with Vista Home Premium (with the proper Vista driver software) and I have reverted to XP Media Center Edition where it works OK on terrestrial analogue TV and FM-radio inputs, and analogue video (composite) input. But it will not handle the audio input associated with the video (ie with A/V input, the video is converetd to digital MPEG2 but the audio is not). No audio is detected at all from this card, but the audio is definitely being input. BDT were unable to help my computer assembler. Does anyone have any ideas?

IT Technician/Consultant SolMiester's Avatar

Default Re: Hauppauge WinTV Card: No Audio with A/V Input

Hi, I would continue to pester Hauppauge support. Is audio working on your pc at present anywhere?. you may have to check default audio device in the sound control panel of the pc.
    How is the sound supposed to go thru the sound card, is their an option in the hauppauge software that specifies what sound device you use?

Never used a TV card so cant really help you.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP L2045w, HOME SERVER HP ML350G5 W2012 Host

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    Hi, I would continue to pester Hauppauge support. Is audio working on your pc at present anywhere?. you may have to check default audio device in the sound control panel of the pc.
    How is the sound supposed to go thru the sound card, is their an option in the hauppauge software that specifies what sound device you use?

Never used a TV card so cant really help you.
    Response:
    Yes the audio is working fine for everything else. The audio is handled by a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio card. It handles audio input through a firewire card, Windows Media Center and Cyberlink DVD players etc.

I input the audio from analog camcorder through the Creative input port and the sound was there.

When using Windows Movie Maker and also Ulead VideoStudio to capture the A/V input from the camcorder, both programs detect several video input ports including the Hauppauge WinTV card, but neither detects any audio except the Creative X-Fi card. This tells me that the WinTV card's audio is likely defective.

Usually with TV tuners, the audio either goes to line in on the soundcard or gets connected to one of the connectors on the mobo.

Depends what kind of connection the tuner has.

Then u have to go into the volume control settings, and tick whichever socket its plugged into to hear it.

IT Technician/Consultant SolMiester's Avatar

Yes speedy, I think thats right. Trouble is so many people have different setups, I guess its hard to cover all that in the manual.

James, what does the manual say with regards to audio connection?
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP L2045w, HOME SERVER HP ML350G5 W2012 Host

I'm using 2 Leadtek tuners here, this one plugs into line in on the soundcard.

The other plugs into one of the connectors on the mobo.

Computer Tech

I have had this problem before.

I have a Hauppauge PVR-500MCE which is basicaly two PVR-150s stuck on the same card.

I have tried to capture video and audio from the AV inputs on the tv card using all sorts of video editing programs but had the same problem as you where the software did not have the option of getting audio input from the tv card.

The only way I could do it was to use a media center type program like Windows MCE or MediaPortal as they automatically grab the audio from the tv card.

I think the problem is that these Hauppauge cards are made for Windows MCE and that is why the other software can't see the audio inputs, they are looking for the audio coming from the line-in on the sound card.

Have you tried capturing the camcorder output in MCE?

Thanks for your inputs.

The o/s is Windows XP MCE. The Hauppauge WinTV card would just plain not work with VISTA even with all driver updates: TV would not work well, and input from an anlog camcorder via the A/V ports (compoiste + mono audio didn't work either.

By reverting to XP-MCE the TV came good, and the anlog camcoder composite video, input via the WinTV card port, was seen and files created both by Windows Movie Maker and Ulead VideoStudio 10plus.

However, no program found the audio which was also input through the WinTV card using it's audio port. The audio was detected when it was input throuh the Creative X-Fi audio card. So I can still make movies with sound but not in the expected way.

With a digital camcorder I input via a firewire card, and the audio is OK there.

Computer Tech

Found this in the Hauppauge FAQ:

Controlling the audio source with Windows Movie Maker:

If you open Windows Movie Maker, and do not hear audio, browse your WinTV CD rom, and within the MISC/UTILITY folder there is a utility called "Audioselect". Run this program, which will allow you to select the audio source(Line In). When the audioselect program is initialized, it will place an icon on the system tray (next to the clock). Click on the "WinTV audio select" icon on the tray, which will open the dialogue. Here is where you will choose the source(ie. Line in).

My disc doesn't have this program on it though and I can't find anywhere to download it.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Found this in the Hauppauge FAQ:

Controlling the audio source with Windows Movie Maker:

If you open Windows Movie Maker, and do not hear audio, browse your WinTV CD rom, and within the MISC/UTILITY folder there is a utility called "Audioselect". Run this program, which will allow you to select the audio source(Line In). When the audioselect program is initialized, it will place an icon on the system tray (next to the clock). Click on the "WinTV audio select" icon on the tray, which will open the dialogue. Here is where you will choose the source(ie. Line in).

My disc doesn't have this program on it though and I can't find anywhere to download it.

My disc doesn't either v3.1D.

The NZ supplier BDT have checked for Tauranga Computers (our assembler) all the Hauppauge CDs and none of them have a program called "Audioselect", ITauranga Computers has also checked the Hauppauge site and couldn't find it there.

Hauppauge have come back (from the USA) and said:

Quote: Hello, the card would be unable to connect directly into Window Movie Maker due to the following Ė The WinTV-PVR records directly to MPEG using onboard Hardware encoders. Most third party capture applications are looking to attach to a card or driver that supports uncompressed video recordings. Like AVI files. These programs cannot capture video directly using the PVR. Unquote

This cannot be correct as the composite analogue video is encoded as MPEG2 in hardware by the Card and Windows Movie Maker detects this and creates .mpg files. You just have to tell it that the input is composite. Why it doesn't do the same with the audio I don't know. And if what Hauppauge says is correct then why does the card have video and audio ports?

I'm going back to them tonight.