Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electrical question

The property I'm renting at the moment has what I think is a potentially dangerous switchboard. It is a fairly standard 3 bedroom house, which was completely rewired and replumbed about 5 years ago.

It has a main fuse rated at 63A (only one phase coming into the property for everything).
    It has a a number of other circuit breakers, for things like the hot water cylinder, power sockets, lights etc. totaling 165A

Is this legal? To me, it seems that we could potentially be overloading the circuits in the house, without tripping any circuit breakers - essentially relying on the main fuse to blow in even to any problem.

Pedant and proud of it

Default Re: Electrical question

No problems. The 63A fuse (or breaker) protects the incoming line. The other breakers protect the wires of the circuits they feed.

The assumption is that you won't have everything turned on at once, and many circuits are very lightly loaded. A digital alarm clock/radio or cordless phone base doesn't need much power.

Even if you did manage to load every circuit to its maximum, your wallet will catch fire before the house wires.

Great. Thanks Graham.

Once upon a time

This all pepends on your Main Fuse.
    If it does not contain 63 amp fuse wire or a 63 amp cartridge, you will have problems - FIRE -

Once upon a time

This all depends on your Main Fuse.
    If it does not contain 63 amp fuse wire or a 63 amp cartridge, you could have problems - FIRE -

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    This all depends on your Main Fuse.
    If it does not contain 63 amp fuse wire or a 63 amp cartridge, you could have problems - FIRE -
    Don't panic Slim. If the fuse wire is too small, it will oxidise & melt... If the cartridge is undersize it will "Blow" inside... That is what they are there for, to be the weak link in the chain. Your first post is ok. This is as it should be.

PJ Retired Electrician.
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Great reply PJ. But now can you answer my question... we have four tiny lights in our kitchen ceiling. I think they may be halogens. Two of them sporadically turn themselves off and on intermittently. One culprit comes on and off approx every 45 minutes. The other every couple of hours. The other two stay on happily all the time. Why?
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

Re Member

Greg, most of the time I've found that problem to be a loose connection between lamp and holder. With the heat they generate, the holders can loosen, and then it starts to arc between the pins and holder. A wriggle helps, check for burning on the lamp pins, or replace the holder. Another one I've had was a transformer which was turning on/off,probably again with heat problems.

Hmm. Thanks Neil.
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    we have four tiny lights in our kitchen ceiling. I think they may be halogens. Two of them sporadically turn themselves off and on intermittently. One culprit comes on and off approx every 45 minutes. The other every couple of hours. The other two stay on happily all the time. Why?
    Maybe they're in training to be strobe lights?
    The New Rig

Intel Core i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, Prolimatech Megahalems, Scythe Kama 120mm, Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1600, WD Caviar 1TB Black, Radeon HD5850 1GB, Corsair HD620W, Silverstone Raven RV01, Win7 64