Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unable to read SD Card

My card reader is working ok but it will not read one of my SD cards. I guess the Card has had it?. Is there anything else I can try to upload the pics to the PC?.

Default Re: Unable to read SD Card

Can you still view the images on the camera OK? What about downloading the images via the camera with a USB connection rather than using the card reader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Can you still view the images on the camera OK? What about downloading the images via the camera with a USB connection rather than using the card reader?
    Yes I can still see the images on the camera. I usually just use the card reader but I will give that a try maybe it will work. Thanks Jen.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    Yes I can still see the images on the camera. I usually just use the card reader but I will give that a try maybe it will work. Thanks Jen.
    Make sure the default (or battery saver auto shut down UI) time to stay ON for the camera is as long as you can make it, usually about 10 minutes or so, then dnld the files into your harddrive first, using the USB to your camera's special adapter port.

If that's not successful.. then you're gonna have to try to use your Computer Management tool after you put the SD in the reader.

Go to My Computer, right click and select MANAGE, then click on DISK MANAGEMENT, and see if the SD shows there.

If so, then right click it (the SD drive itself!) and EXPLORE it. Do NOT OPEN IT!

Then keep on left clicking on the folders as they open, if any do...and see if the pictures are there.

If not...it's time to format the SD and lose the pictures....sorry!

To Format, after you get to the SD drive in the DISK MANAGEMENT area, just right click on the SD drive and you'll see "FORMAT".

I use the FAT32 option..not the regular FAT version. I don't have any particular reason...I just thinks it's better than FAT.

While there in the DISK MANAGEMENT area, I also name all my SD's too. You can go to the PROPERTIES area and when you see the window with the original name or designation in it, just type in what you want for an ID for that SD.
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 29-04-2007 at 03:47 AM.
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

Just in case it is not to late

If you suspect there are photos on the card but they seem to have vanished, the card may be corrupted. In this case it may be worth trying this free utility

Zero Assumption Recovery is a suite of highly effective data recovery software.

Our tools can help you recover your data if it is lost due to accidental reformatting, power spike, virus attack, hardware malfunction or some other reason.

The toolkit contains several tools, allowing the following tasks to be performed:

Data recovery for Windows (ZAR32). ZAR32 recovers FAT16/FAT32/NTFS file systems.

Recover data from a damaged FAT16/FAT32 volume (ZARFAT).

Recover data from a damaged NTFS volume (ZARNTFS).

Additionally, we developed a free tool to..

Recover digital camera images (Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery).

This is the file included here

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    Further investigated and I can't see the images on the camera. There were similar shots on the previous SD card which confused me.

Thanks SurferJoe but it doesn't show up in disk management. I would be reluctant to use it again and loose more photos. Fortunately all the good shots were on my other SD card which worked 100%. Cheers.
    Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.br View Post
    Just in case it is not to late

If you suspect there are photos on the card but they seem to have vanished, the card may be corrupted. In this case it may be worth trying this free utility

Zero Assumption Recovery is a suite of highly effective data recovery software.

Our tools can help you recover your data if it is lost due to accidental reformatting, power spike, virus attack, hardware malfunction or some other reason.

The toolkit contains several tools, allowing the following tasks to be performed:

Data recovery for Windows (ZAR32). ZAR32 recovers FAT16/FAT32/NTFS file systems.

Recover data from a damaged FAT16/FAT32 volume (ZARFAT).

Recover data from a damaged NTFS volume (ZARNTFS).

Additionally, we developed a free tool to..

Recover digital camera images (Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery).

This is the file included here

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm
    Thanks Tony. Have you tried this program to recover lost photos?. Was it successful?. I guess it is worth a try as I have nothing to loose.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

B4 you throw out that card...I'd try to format it thru the camera's UI.

What type of camera is it? Most have the ability to format the SD and clear it totally.

I think it's just corrupted somehow...and as a last resort, I'd give that a try.

BTW: there is some heated debate as to the possibility of a virus getting onto SD's too..although I don't see any real value in it for a black hatter to do.

Some say (isn't that a cop-out phrase?) that there are virus and trojan problems that affect the camera's program...after all a camera is just a dedicated computer..isn't it?
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 29-04-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    B4 you throw out that card...I'd try to format it thru the camera's UI.

What type of camera is it? Most have the ability to format the SD and clear it totally.

I think it's just corrupted somehow...and as a last resort, I'd give that a try.

BTW: there is some heated debate as to the possibility of a virus getting onto SD's too..although I don't see any real value in it for a black hatter to do.

Some say (isn't that a cop-out phrase?) that there are virus and trojan problems that affect the camera's program...after all a camera is just a dedicated computer..isn't it?
    I may be able to format it but would still be reluctant to use it. I guess this happens sometimes but it is the first failure that I have had so can't grumble too much. The camera is a Canon Power Shot A520 which does all I want.