Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default max length for phone cables

what's the maximum length for phone cables before signals get degraded?
    this phone cable needs to be able to carry adsl signal too not just voice

I searched around the net a bit and everywhere mentions that for a cat5 cable it's around 100m but I can't find the max. length for phone cables...

anyone got any ideas??

Banned

Default Re: max length for phone cables

I guess it depends on how long you need your phone cable to be. I used a 5 metre cable when I was on dial up internet and had no problems. We have a 5ghz cordless phone which is supposed to have about a 30m range(I think). If your phone cables are too long they can actually get caught up with other stuff around the house and be in your way - if that is happening you should have a few more jack points around the house.

Old dick-head

Think of it as an extension of the cable that is already in the ground connecting you to the telephone exchange - if you live next door, then you can have several kilometres.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Right now I am running a separate and dedicated connection to my Network Interface Hub (Verizon NIC telephone system attachment to their underground wiring).

It is about 30 feet long as I can see it and there it terminates in a splitter (Verizon supplied) where it then becomes 2-pair of copper and then another 850 feet to my D-slam.

This is running very well..even though I have trouble with 3 wires of the 2-pairs.

I figger about 850 feet altogether.

I am relatively happy.

Don't ask about other things...
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

Phone cable length is absolutely critical. (Under length won't reach, over length goes past socket #2)
    When cleaning computer,
    Caution not to water the electric part
    Or the computations will be meaningless.

If you are talking "real" phone cable and not the "phone extension cable" you can buy, then the distance is a few kM, as it is no different to the cable already in the ground between you and the exchange.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    If you are talking "real" phone cable and not the "phone extension cable" you can buy, then the distance is a few kM, as it is no different to the cable already in the ground between you and the exchange.
    We call the self-buried cable "icky-pick" here in the States for it's quantity of sticky-gooey-nasty black gunk inside the casing.

We also have another quality of cable with 2 or 4 or 8 pairs that are for above ground applications. It is UV-proofed PVC sleeved cable that is usually from the NIC (this is the Network Interface Connection...an outside box that converts the icky-pick to smaller and more easily handled wires for under the home..etc) to the home...sometimes stapled to the eves or the side of buildings..etc.

THEN it breaks down to smaller and more flexible wires, usually with just 2 pair to get to the phone jacks mounted on walls etc. We call this stuff "extension" cable or wire. Most newer homes..probably all by now.... are modular wall jack connections and newer constructed homes are CAT5e/6e or BlueTooth'd too.
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

I'm more thinking about phone extension cables

maybe it's not a problem then..I was thinking that a cat5 cable has it's length limits so I thought maybe the same apply for a telephone extension cable too

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by heni72847 View Post
    I'm more thinking about phone extension cables

maybe it's not a problem then..I was thinking that a cat5 cable has it's length limits so I thought maybe the same apply for a telephone extension cable too
    If you are talking about the phone extension cables that DSE sells, then these are good for voice but not very good at all for ADSL. If possible use a CAT5e cable and if you are really feeling fit, cable your modem all the way back to where the phone line comes into the house and put a splitter there.

so it's better to have a long cat5 cable rather than a long telephone cable is that right?

or if I want the adsl router near me could I rewire the phone plug.. like make a adapter or something and let phone and adsl signal travel through a cat5 cable instead of a normal telephone cable so it can still reach me far away without loosing too much signal? just a thought..

hope that makes sense..