Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone had probs with MS mice?

I've got one of these MS USB wired mice/mouse, and in the last few days, it keeps on shutting off (the light goes off, and if I have the headphones on, I can hear the disconnect sound).

It was fine before Monday this week.

I've gone into Device manager and unticked under the power management tab under this mouse, it makes no diff. I've deleted the mouse and its hub, it made no diff.

I have a feeling its stuffed somewhere, as it turns off on one of the USB ports on the back of the case, and one of the ports on the front.

I tried the other mouse here (from the other PC). It worked fine.

Everything else seems to work ok (the Ipods, and printer, which are USB as well). The cable to the mouse looks fine to me, and it doesnt look like anything is wrong on the inside of the mouse. Do these things have a lifespan or something?

The keyboard is also USB, so I dont think the USB ports on this thing are dying. Otherwise, this keyboard (its a light up one), would die constantly.

And I wouldnt be typing this.

Does it sound like the mouse is ready to die?

Default Re: Anyone had probs with MS mice?

I'm having a similar problem with my older IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, but its only occurs with Vista when the machine comes out of sleep. Not really a problem as i don't normally have sleep enable, I've just got to get around to disabling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    The keyboard is also USB, so I dont think the USB ports on this thing are dying. Otherwise, this keyboard (its a light up one), would die constantly.

And I wouldnt be typing this.

Does it sound like the mouse is ready to die?
    I have had EXACTLY the same problem. I did think it might be a problem with my motherboard's USB but then I had multiple other USB-connected devices (including hard drives and the keyboard) which continued to work without problems. So I plugged in a new wireless MS mouse (I prefer wired) and the problem went away.

The mouse causing the problems was several years old (one of the original optical mice) so maybe they are reaching their use-by date.

Hmm ok, I shall get another down the road tomorrow.

See if thats OK.

This is a Wheel mouse optical, according to whats written on the bottom of it.

Well, hopefully it isnt the mobo, I've only had it since Dec 2006!
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 28-03-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Mine was also a Wheel Mouse Optical, though much older than 2006.

From what your said Speedy it does sound like the mouse is stuffed, but just a couple of things.

How many usb devices do you have all plugged in at the sametime? I have had usb problems before, which seemed to occur only when I had several plugged in at once. It seems the mobo couldn't power all the usb devices.

Also I have heard that non powered usb hubs can cause similar problems.

Just to be sure it's the mouse I would try it on another computer and see it does the same thing.
    Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion.

There was a random fyi thread a couple days ago where the tech guy solved a weird problem by replacing the mouse. All indications for your issue suggest the same solution.
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.

Older by the minute

Being a wireless mouse, have you checked its battery?

Had a similar problem with my Gigabyte mouse a couple of months ago. Sometimes when you started the computer the light on the mouse would not function. I found the problem was due to a very loose connection from the mouse (black conection to the green connection). Simply using a pair of long nosed pliers to spread the contacts of the black connection solved the problem for me. I found the same problem with another Gigabyte mouse which sometimes failed to respond. That was fixed by the same method. Try wiggling these connections and see what happens.
    Regards Gordon.

Ifindoubtgiveitaclout

I had a similar problem with a wireless intellimouse explorer 2. The cursor locked up. After a bit of mucking around I changed the batteries & it still didn't work. After pressing the connect button & channel change buttons a few times, it finally 1/2 worked good enough to go to mouse properties where the battery showed flat even though they were replaced with energizer advanced. Somehow the driver got corrupted as after updating the driver & a reboot everything was good