Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Crusaders = Champions :D

Default Broadband Sharing Issues...

Been on hold with Xtra for a hour 30 mins! without a response so gave up and decided to come here...

Last night I rang to activate my username for xtra, and they offered to help me through step by step with connecting 3 computers, but i said I couldnt connect it due to being on the phone...so they told me step by step anyway what to do...and alternatives..

I was basically told to install the modem on 1 computer, following step by step on cd...then just simply plug in the ethernet cables into the other 2 computers, and ensure that the Local Area Connection has the 'obtain IP address automatically' option ticked...and then everything will work..

So I've done all that, but it wont work on the other 2 computers apart from this one??? I cant figure out whats wrong, the computers pick up the cable connection, and they've been restarted, still no luck?

Ive seen options on here for another hub or something to make it alot easier, but this is just a short term measure, probably 1 month or so before it ends up being only 1 computer...

Router was already mine...its a Dlink, pretty much the same one that Xtra is using in their Wired Network Kit...

All 3 computers are using winxp home with network cards, sp2, and yeah

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Default Re: Broadband Sharing Issues...

Have a look at this FAQ: http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=...king_computers to see if everything has been setup ok on the other two computers.

Best of luck

He's not networking the computers, just sharing the ADSL connection (I think?). Do they have seperate firewalls? Perhaps try shutting the firewalls down, and see if it works then. If that does work, then you need to change your firewall settings.

Yep just sharing broadband, not wanting to share files etc...

Firewalls on all 3 computers are disabled, even the windows one,

still no suck luck in working...

the computers pick up the connection of cables etc...it just for some reason wont let the internet work....IP addresses are correct according to the settnigs Xtra gave me...

Firewalls are disabled...

Quote Originally Posted by csinclair83 View Post
    Been on hold with Xtra for a hour 30 mins! without a response so gave up and decided to come here...

Last night I rang to activate my username for xtra, and they offered to help me through step by step with connecting 3 computers, but i said I couldnt connect it due to being on the phone...so they told me step by step anyway what to do...and alternatives..

I was basically told to install the modem on 1 computer, following step by step on cd...then just simply plug in the ethernet cables into the other 2 computers, and ensure that the Local Area Connection has the 'obtain IP address automatically' option ticked...and then everything will work..

So I've done all that, but it wont work on the other 2 computers apart from this one??? I cant figure out whats wrong, the computers pick up the cable connection, and they've been restarted, still no luck?

Ive seen options on here for another hub or something to make it alot easier, but this is just a short term measure, probably 1 month or so before it ends up being only 1 computer...

Router was already mine...its a Dlink, pretty much the same one that Xtra is using in their Wired Network Kit...

All 3 computers are using winxp home with network cards, sp2, and yeah

Can anyone help?

Cheers

With a broadband connection surely you can talk on the phone and be on the internet at the same time, unlike with dialup.
    Thats pretty good of telecom to try and help you to get other computers connected. Basically I think you do need a hub if you don't already have one, to share the connection, otherwise you have to share the internet connection through the main computer connected to the ADSL modem, which requires you to have 'share internet connection enabled in windows. My ADSL modem includes a hub on it, so you don't need to do this, so you simply just plug the cable from each computer into the back of the hub/router/adsl modem , which it has space for 4 computers to share it. Mine also has wireless, so additional computers can connect to it wirelessly. If you don't already have a hub, I would recommend one, otherwise you would need to have you main computer on in order to share the connection.

I couldnt connect the modem because my username wasnt activated...so had no username to connect to the broadband network with..and wasnt prepared to cut the call off to connect then ring back and wait forever...

I have a router thats got space for 4 computers....i was told to basically install the modem on computer number 1....which i have done successfully, and then just plug ethernet cable into router then into computer number 2, and same again router to computer number 3...and they should pick up the Ip addresses automatically if the options are ticked...thats what they told me, and they said if that fails to enter the details manually...(i've also tried this and it fails too)

My computer is always on anyway so being on is not a issue....

What model is the modem/router please, also conpare the ipconfig of all the pc's via the dos prompt. All 3 should show the gateway as the router ip address.

Go start>run>cmd. At the dos prompt type ipconfig /all!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

i dont know where to start.....
    is it -
    adsl or dialup?
    phone jack -> modem -> router -> individual pc's
    or is the modem connected directly to your pc ?
    if you have a router your pc wont have to be on all the time
    cheers

Old dick-head

So all 3 computers now have IP addresses ? such as:
    10.1.1.5 ?