Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using Laptop without battery

Please accept my apoogies if this has been covered here, I couldn't find anything definitive.
    I am unsure if operating a laptop from the mains when no battery is installed is harmful or not. Does the battery act as a super smoothing capacitor or just lie dormant. I use the battery very seldom, and so replacing a 3 1/2 year old battery that is definitely tired seems hard to justify, and not lugging the extra ballast appeals to my inherent laziness.
    Thanks.
    To make cider;
    Crush a large quantity of Apples,
    Smile :)

Default Re: Using Laptop without battery

I use mine without a battery. It is really no different from using a desktop.

I dont see the harm in running a laptop without the battery but if you lost electricity all of a sudden than just like a desktop your lappy is gona be dead. But it would be wise to have a fully charged battery at hand just in case..
    Life is a struggle
    It's a fight till the end
    So keep your head up
    And fight like a man

"If you can believe than you can achieve" - Tupac Shakur

Answers via Google to other people were pretty varied, and largely seemed to be based on guess work.
    Nothing vital is carried on the laptop, so if it's safe enough, the old battery is going to live on a shelf and gather dust.
    Thanks
    To make cider;

I dont see the harm in running a laptop without the battery but if you lost electricity all of a sudden than just like a desktop your lappy is gona be dead. But it would be wise to have a fully charged battery at hand just in case..
    It is unlikely to cause any permanent damage though, so all you will loose is any unsaved documents in the unlikely event you loose power. Personally I wouldn't buy a new battery for a three and a half year old laptop.

Ah, but this is a Sony, and I am not a dedicated follower of fashion so it can soldier on for a while yet. It is only 6 months out of warranty, and it obligingly failed the DVD drive with two weeks of warranty left. When they checked it, they replaced the hard drive as well, since the smart tests said it was not up to par. The old drive soldiers on in a friends IBM that killed it's drive, with no apparent hassles. At this advanced age, I guess some brands would be in their dotage. .
    Actually, I am using it at work right now, and the battery is at home, resting up. Maybe I should get some Li-Po cells and make my own battery, the proprietary batteries are a bit fierce in $$$ ^X
    To make cider;

Correct my English!
    Cycling, Running or Swimming in Hawkes Bay

Hi R2-D2. On the other hand, you can also choose to opt for a UPS instead of a battery if the former is more economical (and more practical!).

Cheers

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Our laptop has a switch that needs to be switched if operating with the battery removed.
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesKan View Post
    Hi R2-D2. On the other hand, you can also choose to opt for a UPS instead of a battery if the former is more economical (and more practical!).

Cheers
    Hi James-Well, carting a UPS around may be a tad more exercise than I feel keen about most days
    I think if I need to use the battery, I may have to grit my teeth and throw away a great number of $$ that could go to something useful. At $5 per cell (on special) for 1500 mAH Li-Po individual cells, it is still a bunch of dollars to make my own pack And at that price, the cells are probably a bit long in the tooth and also probably not too well matched for paralelling up. When it is used here (very rarely), it is indeed run via the UPS - more for the filtering than the power continuity.
    Cheers
    To make cider;

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Our laptop has a switch that needs to be switched if operating with the battery removed.
    Oh Darn, I hope yours is not a Sony Vaio, or I am going to be most embarassed. Please say it isn't
    To make cider;