Default Can't find AVG is there a programs that shows everything on my computer?

I downloaded AVG. When it got to stage of installling it said AVG was already on my computer and I must uninstall it.
    Funny thing is when I do a search it comes up with nothing.
    But on ccleaner it is there but when I uninstall just say Installation failed - Error: Initialization of the language file "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free" failed.General failure

AND there is a shortcut on my desk.
    Really weird - any ideas.

Default Re: Can't find AVG is there a programs that shows everything on my computer?

Wait for Speedy to reply, then download Hijackthis from his signature.
    "We live in cities, you'll never see on screen, not very pretty but we sure know how to run things"

Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Default Re: Can't find AVG is there a programs that shows everything on my computer?

http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=72926
    Goto there and it may answer yr problem
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

I would delete all reference and start again.

Please do followings:
    - download latest version of AVG available at here;
    - http://www.grisoft.com/doc/programs
    /AVG 7.1 for Workstations
    /AVG 7.1 for Windows
    - Save installation package to your harddrive
    - Run downloaded package and select "Repair Installation"
    - finish installation process
    Check for updates.
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Exclamation Re: Can't find AVG is there a programs that shows everything on my computer?

In a future situation a small program that will show you just what you have is Belarc Advisor, which is free. However on this occasion it seems that you have not got a fully functioning AVG program so you would probably be better to listen to other suggestions.

However, do remember Belarc Advisor for the future. You will not be disappointed.
    cheers
    Misty
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.0
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Firefox 20.0
    SUPERAntispyware
    http://www.getmiro.com

The trouble is it wont let me download AVG again. It says I still have part of it on my computer but when I try to delete it just says installation failed.

Came up withAnti-Virus kernal Interface
    When I googled it it was sending me to http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...backpage=2,sv=
    Which wont let you ask questions unless you have AVG on the system...
    So I can't get rid of it - when I right or left click it does nothing
    AND it wont let me download again.

Well I wish I knew - do you - please

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

This might be a help, as I have AVG Free running, I could access the page that you apparantly could not:

Posted by: rdsok - Moderator (IP Logged)
    Date: August 12, 2005 10:28PM

Well.. how this is caused is by using updates made for the Pro version which many users have mistakenly done... if you ever have an update issue for any reason in the future always make sure that you are getting the update files from [free.grisoft.com]

Other than having the info on what to do in the future, all of that is water under the bridge so to speak and we need to move on to finding your solution since each of these tend to be slightly different with the same error message.

Before we have you do more.. lets make certain that your system is setup to show all files because the last suggestion to search for files/folders should have resolved the "Error: Action failed for file avg7dos.lng: creating file" error unless you misunderstood something that was suggested...

Windows itself, by default, hides certain files, system folders or file extentions from the user to make it easier to navigate. If you are having to find an infected file or just one you are looking for, this can cause you to not find it. If you wish you may change this to show all of the files on your computer.

Open your My Computer icon (Either from your desktop or the Start Menu)
    Click the Tools menu and select Folder Options(on older systems it may be in the View menu)
    Select the View tab and scroll through the Advanced settings
    Enable or disable the following (using a checkmark to enable)

enable - Show hidden files and folders
    disable - Hide extentions for known file types
    disable - Hide protected operating system files (WinME and WinXP only)

Now click Apply and Ok

Now, after making sure you can see all files, do the search again for any file/folder that starts with AVG or Grisoft... and delete them. In addition... do a search for *.LNG files and if you find one named "avg7dos.lng" delete it.

Next lets do a Disk Cleanup to ensure that temp files aren't getting in the way. Run Disk Cleanup (found in the System Tools from the Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools) and select all items except Compress Old files.

Make certain that you did actually download the AVG Install.. it can not be run from the internet. I would also suggest you put the install file in C:\ to run it from just so nothing else may hinder you.
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

Many Thanks - I will try that