Default Control Key held down on keyboard?!

Wondering if anyone has come across this and knows what it is, as it has got me stumped!

My work PC has recently started to hold down the Control Key, which pretty much disables any program I want to use. In MS applications for instance:

*I press the letter 'O', it prompts me to open a file, "S" to save a file, I try to open a file it prompts me to open in safe mode, etc.;
    *I try to move between applications and all it does is highlight the program boxes;
    *In excel I click on random cells and it highlights them all.

This occurs regardless of the keyboard used, and stays on even when changing between them.

It's certainly not something I've come across before, and it meets with 'eh?' whenever I describe it. Can anyone here help?

Default Re: Control Key held down on keyboard?!

Tell them to buy another keyboard. Easy

is the pc concerned a hp or compaq, if so most of those have keyboard software installed which can become problematic, disable this software using msconfig and see how it gos
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Septuagenarian

The comment in the original post "This occurs regardless of the keyboard used, and stays on even when changing between them." leads me to think that this is a laptop/notebook with an external keyboard plugged in.

If I have miss read this then what does it mean?

If I have guessed right, have you tested each keyboard seperately because a fault on one will effect the operation of the other.

Just a thouhgt JT

Check the Accessibility options under control panel.

This will enable Ctrl, Shift or Alt keys to become "sticky", where they are pressed and stay that way.

It is a Windows setting and would affect any keyboard plugged in.

I get bizarre key and mouse responses if using XPs Hibernation feature.

Restart (soft reboot) does NOT fix it. It needs a complete power down / power on cycle to come clear of the issue... temporarily.

Otherwise, refer to the previous post regarding sticky keys.

Okay, try not to laugh too much now...

When it does this problem, I pretty much either randomly press buttons (read 'hit the keyboard") until it stops, or switch off the PC.

Now, It's a HP laptop with docking station and keyboard... only I've swapped the keyboard for an IBM model. I know it sounds dumb, but it's more compact and I prefer the layout! Having said that, I have had the IBM keyboard software installed for about a month now (I imagine there might be HP stuff on it too since it has hot keys...). So:

I had HP laptop with keyboard. No probs.
    Swapped keyboard for IBM one. No probs.
    Installed software for IBM keyboard. No probs.
    Got probs with control key one month or so after install.
    Swapped IBM keyboard for HP one (hated it). Got same problem, even after turning it off and on again. This is why I thought it may have been some sort of function that can be activated...
    I then stumbled across another IBM one (all I'm gonna say is Government department, heaps of junk lying around, and I'm known for "aggressively procuring" stuff!). Dammit, same problem again.

This has happened over three days- it could be the keyboard software, although I figured it was just a design fault since the IBM keyboards tend to jam- just very strange that all three have had the same key jam, and are of different makes too...

I'll uninstall the software and see what happens, and I'll get back to y'all...

un-install the ibm keyboard software, the ibm keyboard should still work without it
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Well, clicked 'unload' on the software icon on the taskbar this morning.

And had the problem crop up again anyway. Pants.

Somehow undid it (I'm sure it has something to do with one of the F10-F12 keys & the shift or control buttons), and then went to control panel and removed the program (since it was still there- oops!).

No problems since, will let you know if it crops up again... cheers for the input in the meantime!

Sick puppy

Question Re: Control Key held down on keyboard?!

Well, after ages since it last happened... the problem has started coming up again. After much experimentation though, I have managed to reverse it by pressing CTRL - CAPS LOCK - CTRL.

Now, I have no idea why this works, and even less of an idea as to why it is happening in the first place! Does the sequence ring any bells with anyone?