Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Banned

Default Should I get a new PC?

I'm a very budget person. I wonder whether should I get a new PC or not?
    Here's my old comp specs:
    40GB Seagate HDD
    512MB DDR RAM
    RICHO DVD RW+ and read -
    50X CD ROM
    1.6Ghz P4 processor without HT
    MOBO: ASUS P4S333
    It's 4yrs old now. Should I get a new one?
    I going to a local uni, should I get a laptop or a desktop? I mean a dsektop is for budget people like me, but a laptop looks good but paying 2X to get a quality like desktop.
    Which one do you guys think?
    Thanks, PedalSlammer.

Default Re: Should I get a new PC?

Easy answer, depends what you use it for.

Gaming or high end apps, yep you need a new PC.

Browsing and a bit of word processing etc, nope what you have is fine.

If you find you need to be portable at Uni sure buy a notebook.

in for the kill

Only get a Laptop if you are indeed going to use it for travel. Waste of money otherwise.

Near Harvey Normans; no deposit, nothing to pay for 50 years, and then they take your house.

Every month you wait means you will get a slightly better pc for your money. As above, unless you are "power user", I would stick with what you have (unless you will sell this one to help fund the new one as this one is devalueing as we speak).
    No cloud is perfect...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
    Easy answer, depends what you use it for.

Gaming or high end apps, yep you need a new PC.

Browsing and a bit of word processing etc, nope what you have is fine.

If you find you need to be portable at Uni sure buy a notebook.
    My local UNI have computers and most people said I do not necessary need to waste 3 grand on a notebook is it right?
    And I want it for gaming too, I mean with reasonable display. I'm still waiting for news from Lenovo about Core 2 processor.
    Main aim of the computer is: gaming, downloading, word processing, some video editing tools, and able to run backup software without lag i.e. Norton GoBack[My old PC cannot handle the GO Back well]
    Suggestions?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trinsic View Post
    Only get a Laptop if you are indeed going to use it for travel. Waste of money otherwise.
    OK. Thanks.

Budget doesn't mean I'm really poor but I just want to spend less that's all.
    Last edited by PedalSlammer; 21-09-2006 at 06:31 PM.

There was an article on Toms Hardware about buying laptops of College/Uni a few weeks back. Interestingly enough most people buy laptops for the portability but they end up spending the whole year on the desk. I was in the Uni hostels a couple of years back and can confirm this, the only time laptops left desk were when they came to me for repair

Upgrade the desktop, you'll get the best value and if your smart with your choices (e.g mATX etc) you could get a fairly lite and mobile desktop for the same price as a traditional desktop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pete O'Neil View Post
    There was an article on Toms Hardware about buying laptops of College/Uni a few weeks back. Interestingly enough most people buy laptops for the portability but they end up spending the whole year on the desk. I was in the Uni hostels a couple of years back and can confirm this, the only time laptops left desk were when they came to me for repair

Upgrade the desktop, you'll get the best value and if your smart with your choices (e.g mATX etc) you could get a fairly lite and mobile desktop for the same price as a traditional desktop.
    Did you use the PC at all? Or just sitting there for years?

Quote Originally Posted by PedalSlammer View Post
    My local UNI have computers and most people said I do not necessary need to waste 3 grand on a notebook is it right?
    And I want it for gaming too, I mean with reasonable display. I'm still waiting for news from Lenovo about Core 2 processor.
    Main aim of the computer is: gaming, downloading, word processing, some video editing tools, and able to run backup software without lag i.e. Norton GoBack[My old PC cannot handle the GO Back well]
    Suggestions?
    Laptops and Notebooks are not generally used for Gaming! They are expensive to upgrade as well as it happens.

If it were me I would upgrade your current desktop.

1: dont waste your money on a laptop UNLESS its for business and you travel alot.

2: when buying a desktop ask yourself what your REALLY gonna be using it for.

so far youve said, gaming, download, and video editing.

so basically you want a fairly high endish comp.

2grand or less will get you a awesome comp.

amd 4400+
    7800gt
    2gbs of ram
    450watt psu or more
    and a fairly good mobo to go with it
    add a 250gb seagate hdd

and youve got yourself a lean, mean, not too expensive, gaming downloading video editing machine!