Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Charging for photos

Hi, we were invited to a family friends 25th wedding anniversary. We were asked to take the 'photos' with our digital camera .
    I have edited 50 images, saved them to CDrs and now will sell them to the members of the family who want them (they have insisted they will pay). How much do I charge them for each disc? We would have been invited the party anyway, so wouldn't charge for travelling time. I took a maximum of 1 hour sorting, ediiting and copying. I thought $25 per disc...any ideas would be appreciated.

Mmmmmmmm.............Kate Tukapa's Avatar

Default Re: Charging for photos

Seems a bit steep to me. If they insist on paying then I would go for a bottle of wine (if you are a wine drinker) or $5 a disc if it were me.

Remember an 'insistance' on paying quite often means a polite "we will pay" with an expectation to get them for nothing.

If it were for friends I would give them away and know that I would get something back in return at a later date.

Asus P8Z77-V LK, Core i5 3570K, 8GB DDR3 1600, 128GB SSD, 12TB HDD, GeForce GTX660 Ti 2GB, Blu-ray writer, Enermax 750W PSU, Coolermaster CM 690 II Case, Windows 8 Professional

Don't be so miserable, it is family/friends. Give it as you would any other gift.

They are family friends and we have discussed this as I was quite happy to do it for the basic costs, but as they said in the future they will be able to go and get photos off the disc as each image is on an average 2mb, so want me to charge for my time/expertise. As they said at the party, the immediate family don't want to be worried about lining everyone up for photos etc, An interesting quandry.

Social etiquette can be a bummer.

I can sort of imagine a scenario like yours, and if it was me I'd charge all the basic costs, eg the disk etc, plus time @ $25 per hour, plus mates rates for each photo, say 5 cents maybe.
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.

Simple.

refuse.

Tell them to get somebody else to do it.

Then state that you want a CD from whomever does it, FREE.

The key to Social etiquette is to reject it.

Muhahahahahahaha.

Also saves the bother of getting invited anywhere
    better Dredd then dead

IT Technician/Consultant SolMiester's Avatar

Sorry Heather, they are just being polite as would I be. If they wont accept them as gift, just asked for CD replacement costs!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, 9600GT, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP L2045w, HOME SERVER HP ML350G5 W2012 Host
    WORK-Silverstone PS07 ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, i5 3470 @4Ghz, 16GB HyperX, GT630, 3 x Samsung S22B420

Are you going to be professional packaging this CD so that it opens in an auto-play photogallery display with background music and a proper printed CD cover? If you were doing it professionally, then charge for your expertise and expenses, but discount for family rates.

If it is just a CD with a pile of images saved to it, then it is irrelevant they might wish to print off images themselves later. Charge them to cover the cost of the CD and postage. If it only took you an hour of your time to edit the photos, then as they are friends and family, I certainly wouldn't be expecting to be paid for my time.

If you've been asked to do it and you think you've done a more professional job than an amateur would- then charge something. If the photos are great you'll hear about it, if they are not great you won't have to go to any more family do's
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Yeah - you can't charge friends for doing that sort of thing. At most, you could ask that they cover the cost of the CD. In many cases, I've done this sort of thing, and just given them the disks free (after all, what's $0.40 a disk to me??).