Default Networking Fallen Over

Greetings guys and girls. Today I am haveing problem with my hom,e network. I have had it running fine for the past couple of months but now it has decided to not talk to my other computer. I have both compters networked through a routhr and have the modem so that it plugs into one of the router ports. This allows both computers to access the net, but not each other. I installed nVIDIA network manager and I think that this may have screwed things up a bit. TI have removed the program but still cannot access my other desktop. Any help would be greealt appreciated. Thanks

Both Running Windows XP. DSE 5 port Router
    Sometimes life doesnít fit inside a box, so donít be forced into one with uninformed decisions. Post a thread first.

Default Re: Networking Fallen Over

Whats Nvidia network manager?? It isnt part of Nvidia firewall, is it??

If is it remove Nvidia firewall as well.

Default Network Fallen Over

Sorry, yes this is apart of nVIDIA firewall, I have removed both programs but no result. Is there any way see what port is being used by the other computer as is there a way to see if its open.???
    Sometimes life doesnít fit inside a box, so donít be forced into one with uninformed decisions. Post a thread first.

Is there an option in the BIOS for Nvidia firewall as well? I dont know, this system doesnt support it.

Other than that, you could try deleting any files / folders left over from the uninstall.

(See if there are any folders in program files / common files,/ documents and settings / username / all users folders, relating to these 2, delete them).

And then use ccleaner click on issues and remove the entries from the registry as well.

What other firewalls are installed? Any?

OK will try that. I am using Zonealarm as my second firewall. I think that this also may have updated which may have also added to the issue. Can you tell what ports are open to networking and if there open???

Thanks for your advice

ZA should allow the ports.

Unless file sharing isnt ticked under the Windows firewall...If u have SP2. Or file sharing isnt ticked under the LAN properties. And a folder isnt shared.

Or if u mean ICS I think ZA has to be registered before the option appears.

IMO ZA isnt the best firewall to use either.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 06-08-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Default Network back up and running

Hey there Speedy, thanks for that that worked a treat. nVIDIA still had re-sidiual files that where blocking the network. Cheers. Also what do you consider I use as a firewall???

Good! lol, well I've tried a few, and got sick of them.

Nortons wasnt too bad, but it had an annoying feature.

It used to shut itself off. And stopped u from browsing until u re-started its proxy service.

ZA wasnt too bad either, but it did the same thing as Nortons/Symantec's firewall.

PC-Cillin keep on cutting me off the net, every 20-30 mins.

And the firewall I'm using at the mo, is Comodo

It isnt too bad, took a while to configure the network, but once its configured, its OK. Only thing is, the popups requesting access for whatever, can get annoying. BUT, its free for life.

Once u download it and get the activation code sent via a valid email addy.

If you have more than 1 PC, u have to install it / activate it then right mouse on its icon in the taskbar / Personal firewall / open. then click on summary / network monitor / task icon. And select add a trusted zone down the bottom. Click on next select the network / LAN, and next a few times.

And hopefully all should be go. The AV is also free, I think but I think its still a bit buggy.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 06-08-2006 at 12:32 PM.