Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Wireless network keeps 'disconnecting'

Hi,

Have a network here that has 4 'computers' connected to the wireless router (D-link), to the ADSL modem(also D-link).

Laptop #1 and the xbox360 are connected to the router via network cables, and laptop #2 (mine) and a computer are connected through wireless networking.

Laptop #1 and xbox360 are always connected to the network, without it 'stopping' working.

Laptop#2 and computer are always having difficulties staying connected to the network. By this, I mean we could be on the internet surfing then it stops working and you have to repair the network for it to get going again. Sometimes the repair does not work (especially for the computer). It can stop working again within a few mins. It happens randomly, not at any set time.

Laptop #2 is within 2 metres of the wireless router (in the same room) with excellent signal strength, and the computer is in two rooms away, with Very Good signal strength.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to find out the cause of this problem, and how to solve it. It's driving us crazy being disconnected from the network every few minutes, especially when you're trying to have a conversation on MSN or surfing the internet.

Thanks in advance
    caffy
    What's going on? I don't know. Do you?

Default Re: Wireless network keeps 'disconnecting'

I also wonder if it's something to do with interference? If so, what can I look at, for the cause of this?

Computer Tech

Hey Caffy!

You wouldn't have a cordless phone near by would you??!! Probably not aye.
    On your laptop or the wireless PC can you pick up any other wireless networks around? They might be causing the interference.
    On the wireless router you could try changing the channel that the wireless network is on. I think D-Link ones default to channel 6 so try changing to 1 or 11 (or whatever the highest setting is). Whatever it is on try it on another channel that is as far away from the current setting as possible.

Just listening to Leo Laporte's KFI podcast and he's having similar problems. He reckons his neighbour is running one the new 11n MIMO routers which, according to Leo, can flood the spectrum. Just a thought.

There's another wireless network around yeah.
    Our wireless network is on channel 6. The other network that I can see is on channel 11.

So does this mean I should change our network to 1? And how do I do this?

You should be able to change the channel in your router setup. Should tell you how to do it in the manual, or do a google search for your particular router.

Computer Tech

Yea I would set yours to Channel 1.
    You need to go into the wireless routers web setup to change it. While you are in there make sure you have encryption enabled or at least MAC address filtering turned on so no one else can access your network & your internet connection!

Check this out.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...-answered.html

I had same problem. Works fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Yea I would set yours to Channel 1.
    You need to go into the wireless routers web setup to change it. While you are in there make sure you have encryption enabled or at least MAC address filtering turned on so no one else can access your network & your internet connection!
    Had a friend come over last night to reset and change the channel (I forgot the password, d`oh!). Anyway it's now on Channel 1, and still disconnecting - perhaps a bit more frequently now!

I will now try the website provided by someone.

Editorial Director

I had a similar problem with a Netgear router that constantly disconnected. Netgear recommended I upgraded the driver, and it's (mostly) behaved since. When in doubt, upgrade the driver.