Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Why is my mouse pointer moving around the screen when i am not even touching it?

Recently, I note that my mouse pointer keeps moving all over the screen without me touching it at all. I am rather concerned as I never had this problem before. It is mainly when I am in Outlook Express and Excel. I have done both the Virus scans with McAffee and the Microsoft Virus scanner and no virus was found. Please let me know what else I can do. It seems to be doing while I am typing this message. Weird!!!

Many thanks.
    Regards,
    Cecilia :

Default Re: Why is my mouse pointer moving around the screen when i am not even touching it?

if it slowly 'wanders' across the screen it's not that uncommon for optical mice pointers to do that......try blowing under it to remove any hair or similar caught in the optical outlet.......
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Default Re: Why is my mouse pointer moving around the screen when i am not even touching it?

Many people report that occasionally their mouse pointer drifts slowly in one direction or another even though they’re not touching the mouse....... most reports involve optical mice.

In the Control Panel, select Mouse and the Pointer Options tab. Uncheck “Enhance pointer precision” and the problem may go away.
    The problem with going to the stars is only the first few hundred miles.

Pedant and proud of it

Nail one of its feet to the desk. If that makes it walk in circles, nail another foot to the desk.

lmao graham.

interference can make mice do werid things. things like lights, desk lamps, even interference from the pc/monitor have been known to cause it.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e
    lmao graham.

interference can make mice do werid things. things like lights, desk lamps, even interference from the pc/monitor have been known to cause it.
    So can a hijacked desktop.

.. also a dent in a hard plastic mousepad will do it.
    I notice occassionally in certain ares, my pad has a few dents, and the cursor will go backwards and forwards or side to side (as the optics read the dented surface)
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Quote Originally Posted by Graham L
    Nail one of its feet to the desk. If that makes it walk in circles, nail another foot to the desk.
    I use a staple gun, quick and easy
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Uh, thats just plain silly and no help at all.

How about we keep in realistic, Use a FREAKIN HAMMER.

BANG..........BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG,BANG....... .BANG,.......BANG,BANG.

Sweep wreckage onto floor for wife to take care of during her cleaning duties.

Make fresh coffee.

Job done, sit back and contemplete madness and medication.
    better Dredd then dead

Hi, clearly this is a natural reaction, remove the Cat from the computer room and all will be well. Seriously the solution is simple, place a white piece of paper as the mouse pad or a white surface mouse pad and the problem will disappear.