Default HP DVD Writer 300n problems

My HP DVD Writer 300n has suddenly decided to stop recognising DVD-ROM discs & DVDs - regular CD-ROMs & CDs are recognised though.

I've been through the troubleshooters on HPs website but with no success - uninstalled/reinstalled/updated drivers etc - has anyone got any ideas what may be the cause and or solution or am I going to have to junk the thing?

If I do junk it have you got any recommendations on a good replacement internal DVD+RW writer?

My system is a bog standard HP Pavilion t460a runnning XP Pro SP2 that's worked as well as any MS box up till now that the waranty has run out

Thanks
    Kleo

Wanderer

Default Re: HP DVD Writer 300n problems

Its junk.
    A LG is nice is the one I have and been advised on this forum. Burns a CD in 3min and DVD in 5 min for me. Comes with Nero.

If you wanna check it then try a windows start up disk such as Win98 disk w/ CD support boot into DOS then pop in a DVD and see if you can view the contents typing the drive letter such as E: enter then dir enter

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad
    Its junk.
    A LG is nice is the one I have ar
    Pioneer, ASUS, Liteon.

LG as a company renamed themselves - they used to be called Goldstar. Are you aware of their reputation?

Wanderer

Yes I do have a vague thing that Goldstar was not that good, I was aware it was a rename but people have said it was very good so that was why I got it. My CD - ROM from 1995 lasted for like couple of years so that was good experience as well. That was under the Goldstar label, came with my Soundblaster 16 kit

Also have a LG monitor for a few and its been good as well. One of the higher model ones.