Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Dehumidifier recommendation

Our home has a lot of glass area and we're getting a lot of condensation. So I'm looking for a used dehumidifier on TradeMe. However I have no clue about these... so could anyone recommend a good make / model that I'd be relatively safe to buy, considering it'll be second-hand? Hoping to pay less than 200.

Thanks.
    Kool-Aid Black Cherry! Get it here!

Default Re: Dehumidifier recommendation

Theirs an old dehumidifier thats been round for years to get rid of condensation its called fresh air open the BLOODY door.

We also considered getting a dehumidifier for our house 8 months ago.
    But the prices are quite expensive for what they are, arent they.

So we decided to go the whole hog and get a HRV system instead which cost a lot more, but runs a lot quiter, does the whole house, and is a lot healthier for us all.

It hurt the bank balance, but our house is a lot dryer and now we dont get mould growing round window sills and other places. Youngest sons sinuses are better too.

(im not a salesman, just wanted to let you know our experience).

But out of the dehumidifiers we looked at, Mitsubishi seemed the best, and unfortunately the most expensive.
    Last edited by Nyuuji; 31-05-2006 at 11:03 AM.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain

I would suggest you consider a HVS or DVS or similar system - something which constantly pumps dry air from your ceiling space into your home. They work brilliantly, significantly reducing the condensation on your windows and making your home drier to heat.

I think they are around the $1600 mark at Mitre 10, and firms such as HomeTech and others also market similar products. DVS I think is the most common brand, though they are around the $3000 mark installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitech
    Theirs an old dehumidifier thats been round for years to get rid of condensation its called fresh air open the BLOODY door.
    Doh! Now why didn't I think of that!?

Perhaps I was blinded by the obvious... All seven doors open in this house just may - I stress may, let in a lot more moisture than what condenses inside with the doors closed.

And a slight situation also occurs to me, that it's generally not a great idea to have the house wide open all night - quite apart from the security aspect, it might just cost a huge amount to keep the place warm.

So yeah "hi"tech - great insight, and thanks for the informative advice.

One fine day, if I'm lucky, I'll be as "BLOODY" brilliant as you, or climb even further to the lofty heights of a BLATHERING IDIOT.
    Last edited by Greg; 31-05-2006 at 12:03 PM.

I dont have one, but a couple of queries first.....

Is this your own home?
    if it is then the cost effectiveness of putting in a system to dry the home may be the way to go in the long run.....but it all comes back to $$$
    There are ways to pay this sort of thing off isnt there?

If its a rented home, is buying a second hand dehumidifier the right thing? i really dont know how much they cost, to run or buy....are new ones that expensive?...but id also stick to better known brand names if you can....
    Oh and do you want it to heat or just collect moisture?

What form of heating do you use?

best of luck.

beetle
    Last edited by beetle; 31-05-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

I bought a 'Brio' brand dehumidifier from the warehouse last year, I'm sure it cost under $300 and probably under $200.

It's quiet enough, sucks water like a trooper. Really didn't see the point of buying a '$600' Mutzi or something as all they pretty much do the same thing.

PS Greg... the windows were streaming with water around here this morning. I have all 7 doors and windows open but it's bloody cold!

I have no problem leaving the windows open at night as sadly there's little chance that any 'intruder' would want to bother
    The best buzz is a short, sharp shock

Thx for the input Beet.

It's our own home, and really we only want or need a stand-alone dehumidifier; not an expensive system. The house is really quite airy, and all it needs is a reliable unit to run during the night, without consumming excessive power or posing an electrical risk while we're asleep.

Don't dehumidifiers use lots of power?

Couple of thoughts Greg.

Dehumidifiers and other forms of moving air and (hopefully) removing the moisture from it merely treat the symptom or remove it's overt indicators to another, perhaps ultimately more expensive repository. You also need to consider the total cost of such systems if they do no provide any other benefit other than removing humid air. If you have a particulalry severe humidy problem, you'll chew through $$ powering a dehumdifier of any, effective, sort.

So, what is the source of the excessive moisture within the dwelling?

Are there any other symptoms aprt from condensation?

What is the age of the house?

Is it all occupier created or is a proportion+- of the moisture sourced from the exterior?

What is the exterior environment as far as vegitation, particulalry large shrubs and trees?

What is the condition of the exterior of the dwelling (do you have the expertise to evaluate it)?

Can you answer beet's question on what form of heating you use? and:

If unflued gas or you use a gas stove and don't have adequate ventilation (the fact an extration unit is installed does not necessarilly qualify as adequate) and what other forms of ventilation do you have in wet area rooms.

Basically, ventilation is the best form of cure for high humidity and condensation, if other factors are involved (or primary), then they will need to be addressed. Removal of humid air could include a form of passive or active air movement/transfer which can have the benefit of distributing warmth to other locations in the house. But you don't want to be spending money on moving expensive warmth to unoccupied areas of the house (different times of day have different requirements) if it's not necessary or even desirable.