Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Monitor refresh rate too high...how to reset?

Hi there

Hope some one can help me out here.

The comp specs are: 15" LCD monitor, WinXP Pro (SP1 installed), GeForce4MX, driver used Nvdia forceware 81.98 and default drivers that came with the graphics card.

Currently I have a computer that when it boots up after a while, the monitor would just go to sleep. I managed to figure what was wrong, though how to fix it was the problem.

The problem is that my window is using a refresh rate that is too high for my monitor. Below are what I've done so far:

1) Uninstall gfx card driver (in safe mode) and reinstall same driver (in normal window environment)- Failed
    This did not work as during the driver installation when (i think) it was testing for what refresh rate that the card can support (when the screen goes on and off) the monitor would just goto sleep and never turn back on again.

2) Uninstall gfx card driver (in safe mode) and resinstall same driver (in safe mode) - Failed
    Although the installtion was a success in safe mode, however when it boots up and about to load the window desktop (right after the window loading screen) and all, the monitor would just goto sleep again.

3) I've tried both the default driver that came with the gfx card and a new version of nVidia driver as mention above in the comp specs. Though both results in the monitor going back to sleep.

How I found out it was the refresh rate was that I used another 15" LCD to test it, on this LCD it gave a message saying "85Hz out of range".

As I understand that in safe mode you cannot change the refresh rate nor can you change it in the normal window environment when no gfx card driver is installed, so what can I do .

Why the refresh rate is higher than what the monitor can support is beyond my knowledge, as this would be one of those days where your computer worked perfectly the night before and would not boot up/work the next day. However this problem had occured before, though at first I thought it would my capacitors or some sort of overheating on the motherboard that is causing it. As if this prorblem occured and I leave the computer off for a while, say a few hrs or sometimes a few days, then the monitor would just go back on again then works for the next month or so with no problem. However this is no longer the case, as it's been almost 3 weeks and the monitor would still not boot up passing the window loading screen.

Hope some one can help ^^

Thanks

Default Re: Monitor refresh rate too high...how to reset?

Right click on desktop. Click Properties.
    Select Settings tab.
    Click Advanced button.
    Select monitor tab.
    Select correct refresh rate.
    "If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization." ~ Harry Weinberger

Thanks for the fast reply, though that solution would not be possible, as I cannot change the refresh rate in safe mode. And if the drivers were installed, I cannot access the window desktop at all. And if the driver werent installed, under that change refresh rate setting, I cannot change anything at all.

Thanks

Does the monitor itself have a reset button or something on it??

If the monitor doesnt turn on.

A reset button as in one of those tiny little holes when you would use a paper clip to press something in? I dont have the LCD manual anymore, though I looked around the LCD and saw a tiny little hole right beside the power connector hole. Would that be it?

Other than that, theres just the Auto button, increase constrast, increase brightness, menu and power button.

Thanks

You could try that little hole. I dont know. I dont have an LCD monitor.

Whats the brand/model of the LCD?

Sorry, didn't realise that you couldn't access normal mode.
    How about borrowing a CRT monitor? :0)
    "If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization." ~ Harry Weinberger

Yeah borrowing an CRT monitor that actually can support the refresh rate would be my last resort as the only people that I know that have CRT that supports such refresh rate are people that uses they computer almost 24/7 so borrowing one would be a hassle. I have tried an 17" CRT monitor, though that too does not support that refresh rate.

And yeah, I tried poking that little hole...seems like just an empty hole, didnt do anything though.

The model of the LCD is Auriga L15AX

Thanks

Where did u buy this monitor?

That monitor model doesnt even exist on the net!

Is it just an LCD monitor, or an LCD TV monitor?

Can you get into the menu. If a menu appears on the screen?

easy to change the refresh rate...........install the drivers then when it waNTs to reboot at the start of th eboot process tap F8 key repeatedly till you get the menu screen..........choose vga this'll put you into the basic mode, (NOT safe mode) then in windoze you can set it at whatever you want
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)