Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HP Laptop charging problem

Hi!

I have a HP Laptop which started to have charging problems. Sometimes only wriggling with the connection helped to start charging. Now its no charging at all anymore.

First I had a look at the battery pack but according to tests it works fine so could it be the pin in the laptop?

If not what else could it be and could I do the repair myself?

Thanks for your help and input!

Default Re: HP Laptop charging problem

Quote Originally Posted by silu
    First I had a look at the battery pack but according to tests it works fine so could it be the pin in the laptop?
    What tests did you do to decide that it was fine? The fault could lie in the battery, the battery contacts, the charger contacts, the charger itself, the charger plug or the socket on the computer. You would have to test with a suitable meter to ensure that the charger was putting out the correct voltage (you can't check the current without a suitable load) but checking the socket would mean dismantling the computer to gain access to the rear of the socket then testing with the meter to make sure the charging voltage was present.

If you don't own a meter or don't have the tools and mechanical skills to dismantle the computer you are better to have it checked by an HP service agent. Otherwise the most you could safely do would be check and clean the contacts on the battery and the mating contacts on the computer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

I have exactly the same problem, although I am using Acer Travelmate 800. I believe my problem is the pin of the laptop as acer actually replaced it before (and it became a bit loose after that). Bought 2 chargers initially because I thought it might be the chargers' problems, it turned out that both of my chargers are okay...

If it is the "pin" on the DC socket for power in on the laptop, seek urgent service.

Its very common for such a problem to escalate to permanent and unrepairable damage to the motherboard, which is often economic destruction of the laptop (repairs then cost more than it's worth)

The socket should be quite repairable, but the heat generated if its used in that condition can quickly wreck the motherboard

Pedant and proud of it

The last problem I had like this was the socket on the end of the cord from the power box. I just replaced it, because it was a standard one. (BTW, the right angle ones are less fragile than the straight through ones, though I will get around to filling it with epoxy one day.)

I had a similar type of problem with a toshiba and a HP. The solder joint where the center pin of the power connector connects to the motherboard becomes dry and cracks. Resoldering this fixed it.
    Even if your battery is stuffed, the charge light should still come on when you plug in the charger. No charge light generally means a dead charger or a dead charging circuit. The charger can be checked with a volt meter, the charging circuit would require repair.

I have a dell latitude C640 and no green, orange, yellow led
    it shows ide in bios and power state online in windows, i have a replacement battery not a genuine dell battery it will charge 1% every 7 hours or so, so i thought i go purchase a pa 9 power adapter that didnt work i then decided to order 2 genuine dell batteries and when they arrived one was completely dead and the other had one led on it, they wont charge at all,
    thanks in advance. everyone else here your problem is your dc jack pins have come loose from the motherboard causing frequent shutdowns and powering off laptop and wiggling the end of the adapter cord is eveident which flickers your led indicator from the broken pins make contact moving it around, which can simply be repaired by a experienced technician that can solder the dc pins back to the motherboard.
    hope this helps others.

Quote Originally Posted by silu View Post
    Hi!

I have a HP Laptop which started to have charging problems. Sometimes only wriggling with the connection helped to start charging. Now its no charging at all anymore.

If not what else could it be and could I do the repair myself?

Thanks for your help and input!
    Download the HP Battery Check. See what that says about your predicament.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Had exactly the same problem. HP replaced the Motherboard and still had a problem. Wiggling used to work until complete death. Not fun.

It was the AC adapter that was faulty, and I rang and got a replacement under warrantee. Working fine now. Is it still under warrantee? If it is they'll do anything to get you out of the way probably, so you might as well get a replacement sent out to you. If you still have problems then get them to have it looked at.
    Or you could see if you could find someone else with a similar one. If that powers you up then roberts your fathers brother.

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Download the HP Battery Check. See what that says about your predicament.
    You know this is a 2 year old thread right? Silu probably has fixed this problem by now.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.