Unhappy Disappearing Files on USB Flash Disk

I have Sony Vaio and HP Pavilion laptops (both Windows XP), and for the last 2 1/2 years I've been using a SanDisk 256 MB USB flash disk to transfer files between the two without any problems.

About a month ago I broke the only remaining USB port in the Sony Vaio so I purchased a USB adapter which connects through the slot where I put my network card (sorry I don't know the lingo).

First time I tried to use the flash disk with the adapter (on the Vaio) it recognized the flash disk with no problem and I opened the window. All the icons showed up, but it froze my computer. I had to restart it manually and try it again. Again it recognized the flash disk but when the window opened all the icons were showing expect for the one huge folder I have on flash disk (it's about 125-160 MBs). Again it froze, again I had to restart manually. After a couple more times I gave up, and made sure the flash disk would still work with my Pavilion (all the USB ports on that thing still work). When I opened it on the Pavilion all the icons showed up except for the large folder. Still it was opperable. It wouldn't freeze the Pavilion.

So again I tried with the Vaio. Well now after doing the freeze, restart thing with the Vaio another time all of the icons disappeared. The same on the Pavilion. However, when I check the properties of the flash disk on both laptops it shows that 167MB out of 249 MB are being used (about as many that should be there) making me think (rather hope) the files and folders are still on the flash disk, I just have to get one of my laptops (preferably the Pavilion) to recognize them.

Your advice is much appreciated and needed.

Mostly harmless member kingdragonfly's Avatar

Default Re: Disappearing Files on USB Flash Disk

USB drives can quickly go from bad to worse (unreadable). I'd suggest backing up on your HP ASAP.

Who manufactured your PC card USB adapter?

Did you physically break the USB port in the Sony laptop, or did it just stop working?

On the Sony, look for any "exclamation points" anywhere:

Right-click my computer
    Manage
    Device Manager

May want to expand this node: Universal Serial Bus controllers

Yea the USB ports are physically broken. I know not to use them any more, that's why I bought the adapter. It's a generic CardBus Card with a NEC chip manufactured by Digital World.

Right now I see that what I need is a free recovery software.

None of the files show up on USB disk without the assistance of a Recovery Software program...all of which would like to charge a pretty penny of course.

Mostly harmless member kingdragonfly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damienwg
    Yea the USB ports are physically broken.
    Dude, try a little tenderness with your laptop.

Hold it, caress it, whisper sweet nothings into its microphone.