Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipod vs Piracy?

Wanderer

Default Ipod vs Piracy?

What are your guys views on the issue. Being not a walkman person myself, I don't have one. Would it be true company is going for it for a buck and the Ipod product is seen such as iconic must get product.

One would struggle to load that much legal Mp3 onto the walkman. One would probably not purchase all those songs themselves via online download (legal payment online) or their own CDs. So its either copying from pple they know, which is piracy or some of it is copying/converting from their own CDs which again is piracy within some countries. Or the probably the easiest one is pirate it off the Internet.

Is it ironic that one side you get big coprorations arguing about piracy, the other end you got big corporations profiting from it. This isn't limited to walkmans either, but all the devices and softwares that supports it.

N.

Y'arrr

Default Re: Ipod vs Piracy?

CD Writer. DVD Writer. Large hard drives. Broadband. Blank Video Cassettes. Blank Audio Cassettes. Photocopiers. Video Machines. Stereo's with a dubbing function.

Not even close to an argument.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

I don't have iPod just a Sony HD Walkman...And in my opinion, I buy the CD I do whatever I want with it regarding that I don't sell copies of it or make duplicate copies for sale...And even CDs that comes with copyprotection...its all lies...I can still rip files into mp3s, wav, wma, etc...from it.
    AMD Phenom II X4 965, MSI 790GX-G65, Leadtek GeForce 9800 GT 512MB, G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT, 1TB Seagate, 500G Seagate, ASUS DVD DL Burner, Samsung CD Burner, Samsung 24" LCD,Win7Ultimate, Thermaltake Armour 650W

unfortunitly nz laws suck, with no fair use clause in it for such things as this. I say burn rip copy any media you own.
    Just dont get caught returning a rental dvd with the burnt copy in it instead of the original

Correct my English!
    Cycling, Running or Swimming in Hawkes Bay

We create our own music, we burn our own music, we listen to our own music. No copyright infringement deal.

Cheers

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

the law is being changed to allow one copy per format, i.e one digital and one analog, say one copy on a cdr and one on an ipod

Quote Originally Posted by Tux
    the law is being changed to allow one copy per format, i.e one digital and one analog, say one copy on a cdr and one on an ipod
    isn't a cdr digital

Peripatetic member

My Walkman has been around longer than CDs have..

It plays cassette tapes which I bought specifically for it.
    It also plays tapes which friends copied for me, using machines with double cassette decks.
    ( We justified that because new tapes were so expensive, but we did buy enough to believe we weren't ripping off the artists)

Nobody banned the double-decks, which were obviously designed for dubbing, but as ninja points out, there's now a huge range of copying options.
    And they're used in enormous volumes.

From the recording companies' point of view, piracy did get out of control. But it's a pity they still haven't got together & made consistent rules which allow some give & take, but are seen to be fair.
    (Arguments like this never arose over my first records. None of us could copy vinyl at home)

Elite

Yeah, but don't forget that Apple runs iTunes too, with a heck of a lot of legal downloads (well not quite in NZ yet).

I remember the people with dual tape decks too

The funniest thing about iTunes is explaining to people that "no those music libraries aren't on your mac, they are shared across the network". Obviously a clash of tastes occurs from time to time

Most people rip the songs from their own CD collections by the looks of things. As long as they aren't Sony-BMG

Quote Originally Posted by Laura
    ( We justified that because new tapes were so expensive, but we did buy enough to believe we weren't ripping off the artists)
    You never were going to rip the arstist of the record companys did that already.