Default windows media centre tv recording

We have just installed the new Xp Windows Media Centre and have recorded some tv programs to the hard drive, we now want to save them to a DVD and because of the format that media centre (WMV) saves the rocording as we are unable to save the program to a DVD using Nero. Are we missing something here? We can't see where you can choose a different recording format. Please Please help- we wouldn't have a clue how to get a successful result. You can save it to DVD but it won't play on a normal DVD player only the DVD installed on the computer, it does work if you want to use VCD format.

Default Re: windows media centre tv recording

Quote Originally Posted by GRONDSMA
    We have just installed the new Xp Windows Media Centre and have recorded some tv programs to the hard drive, we now want to save them to a DVD and because of the format that media centre (WMV) saves the rocording as we are unable to save the program to a DVD using Nero. Are we missing something here? We can't see where you can choose a different recording format. Please Please help- we wouldn't have a clue how to get a successful result. You can save it to DVD but it won't play on a normal DVD player only the DVD installed on the computer, it does work if you want to use VCD format.
    You will find that it doesn't save in WMV format, it actually uses a format with the extension .dvrms. A .dvrms file is actually a mpeg2 file but with extra media centre specific data encoded. Therefore it is close (but not all the way there) to being able to go straight onto a DVD. You will need a product from Sonic Solutions called Primetime http://www.sonic.com/products/Consumer/primetime/

I'm not sure if you installed media center yourself or bought one. If you bought one I would suggest trying to burn a VIDEO dvd from within the media center program (rather than Nero) as you might already have this product installed. Be sure to select the format as video as otherwise you'll just get a data DVD with a .dvrms file on it.

This is one of the reasons MS don't endorse building your own media center, as this product is included with almost all vendor built media centers.

If you want to do it for free you can use graphedit from MS to convert the .dvrms file to mpeg2 which most DVD burning packages will happily use to make a Video DVD.

Be very wary of installing Nero (or any DVD writing software for that matter) on Media Center, it may interfere with it as Nero loads a wodge of it's own codecs and DLLs, some of the codecs may conflict with the correct ones that media center uses. Most obviously the MPEG2 decoder needed to watch TV.

Red face Re: windows media centre tv recording

thank you so much for your reply I will try your suggestions, yes we do have the microsoft new XP Media Centre version NOT something we have installed ourselves

Thank you again

Nerovision (another program by Nero), can deal with DVR-MS and WMV files, for DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
    Nerovision (another program by Nero), can deal with DVR-MS and WMV files, for DVD.
    thanks for your reply I did try using Nerovision. All the Nero programs work the only problem is that they don't play on a normal DVD player hooked up to the TV. It either won't run or comes up with a message saying unsupported format. Have you any other suggestions - have you had trouble with this yourself?

Thanks Julie

How did you burn the file to the DVD?

If u did it as a data cd/dvd, it wont work on anything else, but the dvd burner, you burned it on.

If you used Nerovision express, you'll go to make dvd / dvd-video, and add files. And load the file/s.

I havent tried DVR-MS files, I havent got any, but the videos I have burned previously, work fine in the stereo here. Altho, it may not work on other standard dvd players.

(the stereo that does play my burned DVD plays any DVD, whereas the more expensive DVD player, wont play any of the DVD's I burn at all).

The DVD player you play burned dvd's/videos on should be pretty recent. Or it wont recognise it, or play whats on it.

How old is the DVD player, you're trying to play the dvd on?