Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help...

Mecha

Default Need help...

Okay, I got a problem with my computer. I bought a new external DVD/CD rewriter, the model is the new LG 16X Super multi. So when I get it home I plug it into the usb port, switch the drive on and 8 seconds later my computer freezes. After reseting, the computer is fine, so I try it again, no external device detecting, just the freeze.

I know its not the DVD drive as I tried it on a friends laptop and it worked fine. I have tred it with the installation disc and with out, disconnected the cd burner and got the dvd drive replaced, but it still freezes after a few seconds... can some one help me out...

VoidMaster

Default Re: Need help...

Hello new member. Can you tell us your operating system ie Win XP, Win2K, Win98SE or whatever as a start? Have you ever used any other USB devices on the USB ports without trouble? ie Flash drive.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Mecha

I am using windows XP, and no, I have never used any other Usb devices other than my speakers. I know my problem has nothing to do with ram as I bought 512mb of ddr ram just to see if it was lack of memory.

Pedant and proud of it

Is your computer a laptop? Does the external drive have its own power supply, or does it take its power from the computer through the USB connection?

If it's a laptop, it might not be able to supply enough power for the drive. Some laptops don't give the full 500 mA. Some external devices take more than the "maximum" 500 mA.

If this is what's happening, about all you can do is plug it in through a powered hub.

Mecha

Its not a laptop, I have a basic tower. The drive has its own power cable so it doesnt need power from the computer.

I am really annoyed at the fact that I shelled out $200 for the drive and an extra $100 for extra ram, I dont have enough for it to be looked at be some techy.

Mecha

Won't someone help me?

Is USB 1.1, or 2 onboard??

Quote Originally Posted by Mecha
    Won't someone help me?
    Have you tried reloading the motherboard drivers (the CD should have come with the PC or Motherboard) as if its running on the default Windows chipset drivers its possible that they are not working optimally, and they also control all I/O ports including USB.

don't quote me

i came across this problem with a shuttle x mobo - it required a patch for usb hardware, but of course it didn't work - the most cost effective solution - put a usb 2.0 pci card, with drivers - yes!

Mecha

I have 2.0 usb...