Default Emulate floppy drive with USB Flash drive

Can any one tell me how to set up a USB drive to emulate a floppy drive. I need to install SATA driver for a Win XP install and there is no connection for a floppy drive on the motherboard. Win XP setup only has the option of installing the drivers from A: drive. I have seen a USB flash drive partitioned with an A: drive.

Peter

Default Re: Emulate floppy drive with USB Flash drive

1. A program may have come with the USB flash drive u purchased, to make it bootable. Or to create a bootable USB drive.

I've got a Transcend Jetflash 256 USB 2 pen/drive, which came with a minicd, which has U-storage on it for example. It lets u create a bootdisk, BUT u need a floppy so u can make it into a MS-DOS disk first. Then it copies the files to the USB drive. And it also copies U-Storage to the USB drive, after it copies the files needed for MS-DOS.

2. You may need a floppy, so u can format it and make it into a MS-DOS disk
    As above.

3. The BIOS has to support booting from a USB device (as in a USB drive).

There will an option like USB HDD, (the one I have doesn't support USB HDD), or USB Zip (but it supports USB Zip), in the BIOS

If not then you cant boot from it, even if you do manage to format it in windows and make it a MS-DOS disk. I would check your BIOS to see if it supports booting from USB before you start.

4. You could plug the USB drive in, and right mouse button / format. See if it gives u the option of creating an MS-DOS disk.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 20-08-2005 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks for your reply Speedy. I have finally found the floppy connector tucked behind the DVD IDE cable.

lol good on ya. Yup, well, u should still be able to make the usb flash drive bootable with the floppy now that u have the cable. (its handy for updating the BIOS, if it ever needs updating).

And would save a lot of stuffed floppies)! Or using floppies at all.

I did it on this, but somehow, I'm not sure whether I was meant to do it some other way, coz it'll only boot from this PC, not the other PC opposite me! For some reason.

Even tho the other PC, has the USB boot options in the BIOS.

I might rip the floppy out of this shortly. Just have to find the cover for it, to put back on the case.

I was about to say I've never yet seen a motherboard with no FDD connector....

I found the utility on my flash drives driver disk to partition the drive and make one partition bootable. I haven't tried it yet though. Might try to make a Win XP boot disk to the recovery console (instead of 6 floppies).