Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build your own

mostly trying my best

Default Build your own

Hello to you all
    My son wants to assemble his own computer.
    We had a look on the net for literature but not found anything interesting and valuable yet. For the start it should list all the needed parts(e.g. motherboard , powersupply...) and not just the fancy new cooling systems and so on.
    A somewhat simple step by step explanation?
    Could anyone help me on that?

Many thanks

Gion

Default Re: Build your own

case/powersupply/motherboard/video card/ram/cpu/harddrive/cd writer/floppy drive. Thats about it. The REAL trick is to decide what you want to use the pc for and then purchase parts which will do the job and be compatible with each other.
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them. - Orson Scott Card (1951- ),

Another good place with excellent guides is PC Stats. Check out "6. Assembling Your Own PC" in the menu list on the right.

Can't read too many of these guides, you know.

Just some pointers...
    First.. decide what purpose the computer will be used for; then decide on the CPU you are using... then buy a motherboard to suit
    From there, everything revolves around the motherboard (RAM, graphics card [pci-e, agp etc], case, and so on). Read the motherboard book to see what specs are supported for other hardware.

Couple of don'ts...
    don't touch the pins of the CPU
    don't touch the contacts of the RAM, or any other hardware you install
    don't forget to take your time

And buy an antistatic strap (as a minimum precaution)..... cheap, but it could save you hundreds
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Also, adding to what others have said, there is nothing like getting hold of an old cheap ATX computer, say from an auction, practice partitioning and formatting the hard drive and installing an OS, then pull it all apart and put it back together again.
    Generally learn how to do things on something that doesn't matter too much, such as mounting the motherboard properly with the correct spacers and screws, how to connect up the LEDs and switches, and so on.

morgenmuffel

Ditto to what Terry says
    When i was a student, I saw a lot of students stuff their new ram/cpu/mobo etc simply because they didn't really know what they were doing, buying an old dunger of a box and pulling it to bits and rebuilding it, is a good way to learn the basics and if you wreck it in the process you will at least have learned what not to do, after all most components you buy for the new machine will be dearer than the entire old dunger

Good luck
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Gion
    Hello to you all
    My son wants to assemble his own computer.
    We had a look on the net for literature but not found anything interesting and valuable yet. For the start it should list all the needed parts(e.g. motherboard , powersupply...) and not just the fancy new cooling systems and so on.

Gion
    www.ascent.co.nz
    Has systems where you can then amend each component. Its a list........

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt
    Also, adding to what others have said, there is nothing like getting hold of an old cheap ATX computer, say from an auction, practice partitioning and formatting the hard drive and installing an OS, then pull it all apart and put it back together again.
    Generally learn how to do things on something that doesn't matter too much, such as mounting the motherboard properly with the correct spacers and screws, how to connect up the LEDs and switches, and so on.
    This is by far the best way to learn. And Terry also points out the OS side of things, which in my mind is much more important than hardware knowledge. So while your son (how old is he by the way?) learns the hardware side of things, it is very important to learn how the OS uses it.

I remember a couple of years (1999-2001)back I purchased a tutorial CD on 'Assembling' your own computer from Harvey Norman.

It was easy to understand and took you through the steps as well as giving precautionary advice and stuff.

It cost me around 20 dollars and is out of date (slot 1 CPU's) but still quite neat to watch (The guy assembling the comp didnt use any ESD pracautionaries)

I could give it away if you want it
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.