asdex

Default Removing tab and indents in Word and centering text

Hi, I am formating 93 pages of poems that my mother wrote and my sister typed out to publish. Does anyone know how to remove all tabs and first line indents all at once. I tried Select all - format - tabs - clear all but that didn't work. Also the lines of each poems are different lengths but I want to center them all but still have them aligned to the left.
    Thanks,
    asdex

Cheerful Member

Default Re: Removing tab and indents in Word and centering text

asdex

I am assuming what you are describing is where she has pressed the Tab key at the beginning of each line. If she did not set a tab stop (and I am assuming she did not), then click on Edit, Replace. Place the cursor in the Find What box and click on Special and choose Tab character. In the Replace With box click on Special and choose Paragraph Mark. This will replace the tabs with a line space between the lines of type. Then click Repace All.

When you say you want to centre all of the lines but to the left, do you mean you want to centre the block of text so that the margins appear even, ie the longest line is centred?

Oxie (Lyn)
    The key to happiness is having dreams.
    The key to success is making dreams come true.

asdex

Thumbs up Re: Removing tab and indents in Word and centering text

Thanks very much. Your assumptions were correct and I have been able to remove the tabs successfully.
    About the centering, yes you are correct. I want the lines to be centered between the margins which are 25mm and 20mm (25mm at the binding side) but also be as if you select all and press the "align left" button. The lines are too short to "justify" and they look wrong being "centered".
    Thanks very much for your help
    asdex

Cheerful Member

asdex

I think I understand what you are wanting, but you have a problem in that you have 93 pages. Does this mean you want every page to have a different left margin so that the longest line of text on each page appears centred? If so, you will have a lot of changes to make. Select the text on the page and move the top slider (First Line Indent) on the ruler to the right so that the text is indented. Use the numbers on the ruler to help you place the text in the middle of the page. To do this on every page would take a long time. You could just select the whole document and move the slider so that the longest line for the whole document is centred. Or, you could just change the left margin until you are happy with it.

Oxie (Lyn)
    The key to happiness is having dreams.
    The key to success is making dreams come true.

VoidMaster

It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hi asdex. Re: Also the lines of each poems are different lengths but I want to center them all but still have them aligned to the left. Could you just clarify that for me? I'd love to help but am having trouble with that statement.