Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best & Worst on-hold music

Having spent 20 minutes in the IHUG queue this morning, I think it is time for a vote on the best and worst on-hold music.

I'll start by nominating IHUG for the worst. I think there is actually something wrong with their system, but on my phone all you hear is a scratchy sort of dirge at extremely low volume. Rather than keeping you entertained while you wait, it actually makes you want to slit your wrists it is so gloomy.

Best? Well they are all pretty bad, but the last time I phoned Microsoft (aeons ago) their music was actually quite good - mind you they ought to be able to afford the best.

Any other candidates?

Default Re: Best & Worst on-hold music

the paradise and xtra music are crap. actually all on-hold music is crap, and being on hold makes it even worse
    Last edited by Prescott; 04-04-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Pedant and proud of it

Sing back at them when you get a human: I suggest "Why are we waiting?"

insomniac maximus

Ihug are probably just tunnelling some FM radio into their queue system, easy way around copyright/public broadcast issues that way.

When I started at my work I was setting up an mp3 server for our hold music with 20gigs of mp3's, all legit, but management still frowned on it because apparently "mp3" == "illegal" Offers to convert to OGG were met with confusion. So that wee project was scrapped

For months we had some horrid horrid horrid hold music that was like the offspring of muzak and polka, it was so horrible that a client told me he felt like clawing his eyes out. One of our VIP's even emailed us a formal complaint about it, it was tongue in cheek but we still took it seriously.

Now we've got some kind of indy version of Sade crooning meets Christina Aguilera whining that we got free for use on the intergeek. Nothing amazing, but the response is generally positive now
    Unleash the opensauce:The OpenCD
    For the self respecting techie:UBCD

Hash Slinging Slasher

I vote Greensleavs as worst O_O

all on hold music is terrible, There is no need for companies to treat their customers like crap, if they can't answer a damn phone within 3 minutes then their service sucks, You can bet they don't jack around when it comes to sending a bill for their "service"

But what really gets up my goat is that damn voice that cuts in saying how they are really sorry and that you will be rescued from the hell they are subjecting you to very soon,after 40 minites on hold and hearing that crap 80 times Im ready to rip a throat out. Just answer the damn phone and cut the bull****, Not everyone can afford to waste hours so they can bank an extra few grand each month.
    better Dredd then dead

insomniac maximus

I remember about a year ago there was news of a voice recognition system that would increase your ranking/priority in a hold queue if you were making angry comments or screaming at the hold music... Guess that'd be an advantage for tourettes sufferers I wonder what happened with that system

Either way, no-one should ever have to wait on hold for more than 5 minutes. After that they should be automatically forwarded through to the next tier. The higher tier support groups are normally sitting around playing flash games and scratching their arses, they can help with the call load in peak times.

And when calls start getting through to higher tiers, a political snowball tends to form and before you know it, more people are hired to help cater for the higher call load.

I doubt Telstra is paying attention here
    Unleash the opensauce:The OpenCD
    For the self respecting techie:UBCD

Quote Originally Posted by Metla
    But what really gets up my goat is that damn voice that cuts in saying how they are really sorry and that you will be rescued from the hell they are subjecting you to very soon,after 40 minites on hold and hearing that crap 80 times Im ready to rip a throat out.
    You got it dead right there.
    I've been getting really pissed off with IHUG when every time you call you get the "we are experiencing unusually high call volumes..." and it's back to the slit your wrists music. They've even lost the "you are ... in the queue", maybe because the software doesn't go past 99.

Pedant and proud of it

whetu: I'll think you will find that piping a radio into the system has got problems with copyright/public performance, too. I suppose the enforcers are too busy chasing the "new" technology to bother with it, but I often wish they would ... too many shops have bloody commercial radio on. It certainly reduces the time I spend in any such shop.

Alrighty, What about the tribal urban mellow mush music that gets played in upthemselves with hipness cafe's around the country......
    better Dredd then dead