Thread: Rare sighting

Default Rare sighting

I rescued a rare lizard yeterday from neighbour's cat. I didn't recognise it so looked it up on DOC's website - turned out to be a striped skink, of which there've only ever been 120 sightings in New Zealand. Now 121
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.

Default Re: Rare sighting

Well done Greg. What did you do with said skink? "The Department of Conservation has prepared a recovery plan for all North Island Oligosoma skinks which includes striped skinks. People should avoid handling lizards as both skinks and geckos often drop their tails when handled. It is also illegal to remove any lizards from the wild as they are protected by law. If you see a striped skink please report it to your local DOC office as this will help put together a picture of preferred habitats, distribution and identification of possible causes of decline."

Well I found it in my backyard in suburban Pakuranga, Auckland. Strange it should be around here.

I just picked it up with a sheet of cardboard with a bowl over it, very gently. I was surprised that it did have it's tail actually, coz the cat had given it quite a hard time. Anyway I just moved it to a bushy section of my front yard.

And yeah I did contact DOC - emailed them and offered them the photos I took if they're interested.

Anyway it was quite a cool find.
    Comments by Greg brought to you courtesy AlcoLine® IV drip, for when the tedious act of drinking takes too much time away from gaming.

could you post your photos here too?
    "Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer!"
    Grand Nagus - Zek

http://brightwork.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by robsonde
    could you post your photos here too?
    Can do, although have to wait til I get the film finished and developed. There's a decent image on DOC's site here

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse
    Well done Greg. What did you do with said skink?
    Sold it to New Lynn KFC.