Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shower Glass

Default Shower Glass

New shower with glass door,sticker on glass said,glass is porous and to clean with squeegee or similar,this to stop build up of whatever it is that causes glass to become hazy.Have done that but still getting haze.
    there is a product that one can purchase at great cost that gets it off.
    As this is a particularly interesting subject,please do not all answer at once.

Forgot the question...is there a chemist type out there that know what to use to remove the above?Jiff will not do it!
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Default Re: Shower Glass

Meths????

What type of glass is it, tinted, coated, is it a framed or framless door and panels (diff glass req' depending on)? Look for the S logo and associated numbers and letters, usually in the bottom corner of a pane or for doors and panels on a edge, post back results. eg's Metro Toughened

Many things can permanently discolour or damge glass (a hammer will do ) but usually in combination with sun or runoff from other material such as aluminium, oxides and the like.

Found this on the Metro site.
    Last edited by Murray P; 07-02-2005 at 11:33 AM.

I believe that build-up is a self defence mechanism so nobody has to witness seeing you in the shower?

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    I believe that build-up is a self defence mechanism so nobody has to witness seeing you in the shower?
    Godfather's right. It saves you having to install a "modesty shield" strip on the glass to protect unsuspecting intruders into the bathroom.

You could try CLR (Calcium/Lime/Rust stain or film remover), available from good hardware stores everywhere. Not particularly cheap but it works and might help you. You may remember the TV ads.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Y'arrr

The build up is probably soap residue. Usually Kerosene will do a decent job of getting rid of it.

Once you've got rid of it, those "spray after you shower" cleaners are good, and you can also get the glass coasted to make them easier to clean.

Edit: If it already has a coating Kero could cause all manner of pain. Consult manufacturer/vendor.

Edit 2: Install SP2

Edit 3: Get FireFox.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    I think we must speak for ourselves here,for me there is a queue waiting most morning to sample the delights.
    Last edited by Cicero; 07-02-2005 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T
    You could try CLR (Calcium/Lime/Rust stain or film remover), available from good hardware stores everywhere. Not particularly cheap but it works and might help you. You may remember the TV ads.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    There is a product to be found at a wholsale cleaning wharehouse here in Ch Ch,cost about $30,thought it would be nice if a chemist type could have told us what was in it.Thank you just the same B.

Old Ninja seems to have a fixation on computers,should tell him no XP in my shower. and I don't put terps on it either,ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero
    New shower with glass door,sticker on glass said,glass is porous and to clean with squeegee or similar,this to stop build up of whatever it is that causes glass to become hazy.Have done that but still getting haze.
    If it is soap/hard water precipitate, then that white stuff with small particles in it - Jiff? Ajax? - with the "without harsh scratching" advertising pitch, plus elbow grease, works wonders.

Make sure you do not leave it in the shower, otherwise some idiot will mistake it for shampoo or conditioner or something, and burn all their hair off.