Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default IRQL not less or equal blue screen error

i just built this system a few days ago, gigabyte socket 775motherboard, P4, nvidia 6800GT. It ran fine the first 2 days but now whenever i do alot with it i get a blue screen that say IRQL not less or equal, and upon reboot windows error report takes me to a Graphics driver error screen. I updated everything on my mobo, ethernet adapters, chipset and also the graphics driver, still having the same problem, im not sure what to do. I did some searches but none of the fixes from microsoft helped me. I get the screen about 20-30 minutes into it, recently it rebooted then kept rebooting and wouldnt load windows so i took out one chip of ram and now it boots all the way. Here is a picture of my IRQ list, should i change anything? if so how, id appreciate any help, thanks.
    http://webpages.charter.net/v1rus67/irq.JPG

Y'arrr

Default Re: IRQL not less or equal blue screen error

www.memtest86.com

This is usually a memory fault (either faulty RAM or faulty sockets on the board). Grab memtest and see what it reports.
    There are no such things as ghosts, only clumsy ninjas.

Boot into safe mode, uninstall the nvidia drivers. Then reboot. Then get the latest drivers off the nvidia site. And either download the beta drivers (67.66), or the 66.93 drivers. After u uninstall the drivers that are installed, delete its folder in C: then reboot / reinstall then reboot again.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 01-02-2005 at 09:52 AM.

This error message could be hardware or software related, it would be more helpfull to have the exact wording of the error message including the address number/code. What does your Event logs tell you (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, right click > Properties)?

Having said that, you seem to have found at least a trigger for the error in your RAM. As Ninja says, use memtest to check your RAM.

What happens if you put the stick you took out back in, but remove the other stick?

What happens if you put the stick you took out back in the slot where the other stick is?

What happens if you put the stick you didn't take out in the slot where the one you did take out was?

How many RAM slots do you have, try different, additional, combinations if more than two.

Check out MS BSOD Dump.

I was having similar problems a little while ago - see here

I did all the reloading drivers stuff (nvidia) and it made no difference. I eventually removed the joystick I had installed and everything settled down. So I would suggest you look for that sort of conflict as well as everything else.

Looking at your IRQ list I see that your graphics card is sharing with a lot of other stuff - if you can get it on to a less-used IRQ that may help.

HTH
    Last edited by Tony; 01-02-2005 at 10:32 AM.

thanks for all the responses, currently im running 66.93 nvidia drivers but im gonna reload them using ur method. I let the ramtest go for 40 minutes, it ran 6 or so tests and all passed, i didnt let it finish (i have classes with stuf f ineed to submit online so i had to break operation) but ill let it go 100% tonight but in 40min of testing it found 0 errors. heres a link to the response i get from MSFT http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...e71910f&SID=11 and as far as the actual blue screen goes, its only up for about 2 seconds, enough time for me to read IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. As far as peripherals, all i had was a wifi pci card which i removed last night, didn tmake a difference. My case has usb/firewire ports which i wired into the motherboard, other then that the only thing different on the motherboard is the heatsink which i replaced with a better one but its not runnign overclocked and the temperature is always erading at a steady 32C (according to the gigabyte mobo monitor). I reaseated the RAM (1 gig total, 2x 512 PC5400 sticks, theres 6 ram dimms total on the mobo, 2 sets of 3, before i had one in each set, now i have both in the same set of 3 next to each other). Ill let u know if theres any improvements, so far its been 30 minutes with the ram reseated and no blue screen.

So you've had Stop errors as well??

What does your memory dump and Event Viewer tell you?

Have you re-seated all your cables and cards?

Is the motherboard new? Any errors when you installed the motherboard drivers?

i reseated alot, switched the power supply cables going to my graphics card when i reseated my ram, and since ive reseated it its been 2 hours and NO BLUE SCREEN, im HOPING that solved the problem, im doing the same things i did before and not getting anything yet. im not sur ehow to check my event viewer, could u tell me how? and yes the motherboard is new, bran new. GA-8anxp-d by gigabyte. PCI-E socket 775. I have a question tho, i mentioned earlier that i have 2 sets of 3 dimms for Ram, before i had 1 stick of 512 pc5400 ram in dimm one slot of each set, now i moved them both to the same set, will this make a difference in performance? It seems like its fixed my BSOD problem by doing so.

Event Viewer - control panel / admin tools. The bottom one shows u errors.

Well the 3 entries here do.

Event Viewer: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer, right click an event that has occured at about the same time as the errors > Properties, note down the info (ID numbers, etc) if it seems relevant. Check several events either side of the error one to get an idea of a trigger. Don't just look at the error events, an error will often have a sequence of events that lead to the final failure or the error may be handled but something else falls over as a consequence.

Check you motherboard manual on how to enable/install double data rate RAM. Are your RAM dimms matched pairs?