Susan B

Default Outlook Express attachments

This one has got me totally stumped.

Reformatted my hard drive last week and installed SP2 for Win XP, directed OE to my D: drive Outlook Express store folder and now, no matter what I do, I can't grab the attachments. The paper clips are only in the main windows, not in any of the messages themselves so there is no option to even save them to the hard drive, let alone open them.

I have even changed the store folder back to the default and imported all the messages but still cannot get at my attachments.

I can forward the emails to myself and grab the attachments in Eudora but I really don't want to have to do that to several dozen of them if I can help it.

OE is set to allow attachments to be opened and the Internet Zone is selected, not Restricted and it worked prior to the format.

Any ideas?

Rob99

Default Re: Outlook Express attachments

It might be the service pac2 thing.

Double click the email and see if there is a light yellow bar just above the body of the email.

ps. why arnt you using Thunderbird anyway

Susan B

Er.... forget this thread, I have got them. :8}

Now that I have changed back to the default folder rather than my Data drive I can open the email message and go File>Save Attachments. That option wasn't there before, for some reason.

[pre]Remember: Press F1 helps you to help yourself! [/pre]

drcspy

go here http://www.oehelp.com/Default.aspx and pick up dbextract it'll allow you to extract emails from the dbx files into a folder .....hopefully they'll have the attachements with them ..............

drcspy

oh well .........theres some handy apps there anywya...

Susan B

> ps. why arnt you using Thunderbird anyway

I use Eudora normally. ;-)

These are old emails prior to using Eudora and I want the recipes and photos, etc out of them.

Porky71

When you say set to allow attachements do you mean the TOOLS>OPTIONS>SECURITY Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could be a virus?

I would have suggested this to be unchecked but maybe you have already. If so i'll just shut up and sit here quietely!!