Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is VPU??

Meg_h_nz

Default what is VPU??

Hi all. I need some help.
    I have been getting the following message and have no idea what it means:

VPU Recover was unable to fully recover from a hardware deadlock, and has switched to software rendering. You must restart your computer.....(etc)

What is happening?

Have a great weekend
    Meg

HadO

Default Re: what is VPU??

If you have an ATi video card/chipset then turn off VPU Recover in the Windows Advanced Display Properties area under the VPU Recover tab.

Its a bit of a worry that it needs to be recovered - perhaps you should try updating the drivers.

george12

VPU is the equivilent of a CPU for a graphics card.

The VPU stands for Visual Processing Unit. Older PCI and ISA graphics cards did not have VPU's, but simply displayed what they were told to. Any rendering etc was done by the CPU.

But in newer graphics cards, cards had their own processor and could render themselves - rather than just being told "put this pixel here", they would construct a 3D scene themselves.

Just like computers, the processors on graphics cards can freeze. This is probably due to overheating. That is what the error message says. It means that the graphics card's processor has frozen or locked up, and so it must switch to 'software rendering', the technique used with those old 2MB PCI cards.

Check the cooling of your graphics card, and if the temps are fine then the graphics card is probably damaged.

If you have integrated graphics then this may mean different things...

Cheers George

Meg_h_nz

HI Guys
    Thanks for the advice .
    I have got the latest drivers for my graphics card.
    How can I check the temp of my graphics card?
    What will changing the VPU settings achieve?

My card is a Powercolor Radeon X600XT PCI- E (550/700MHz), 128M 128-bit DDR, VGA+DVI-I+ S-Video Out , with cooling fan.
    The computer is only 4 months old.
    (P4 3.2GHz 1 GB DDR-400 RAM)

Am I the only one finding Paradise so slow today???

Meg

HadO

If you turn off the VPU recover option it will not try to recover from a hardware crash and your machine will probably reboot.

Are you overclocking that card? If you are run it stock if you have errors /rebooting issues or funny looking graphics in games after you turn off the VPU recover...

Meg_h_nz

Hi HadO
    I'm not overclocking it.
    It only happens when I am playing Sims2. Not even when in game play mostly when I am building houses. I am sure that it would take far more graphics 'grunt' while the game is in play as opposed to simply building houses (?)
    How can I check the temp of the graphics card?

Do you think I need to take it back into be serviced at the place that built it?

hope you are having a great weekend.
    Meg

HadO

OK

Like I said - turn off the VPU Recover option and reboot and if you don't notice any strange looking graphics in your games and your computer doesn't crash or reboot while playing then it might just be a bug in the driver and all is OK.

If you turn it off and experience problems your card is probably overheating - you can get utilities to see the temperature but I'm unsure whether the x600xt would have a sensor...

Just see how you go and come back if you have issues...

chiefnz

Which drivers are you using?

Are you using the stock ATi drivers or possibly the Omega ATi drivers.

If you're using the Drivers from ATi then I suggest downloading the Omega drivers here

Also check to see if the Overdrive check box is unchecked, that might help you a bit?

cheers

chiefnz

Prescott

> Also check to see if the Overdrive check box is
    > unchecked, that might help you a bit?

what does this overdrive do?
    ive got these omega drivers too and i think that they are pretty good, but im not too sure if there is a preformance boost, i didnt bechmark it with stock drivers and again with the omega drivers, ill do this when i format again

HadO

It's the overclocking part of the ATi drivers - this feature is usually only available on XT series cards.

Although you can overclock any ATi card with ATi Tool - I recommend it - settings for both 2D and 3D overclocking