Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    John L.

Default redirect Parrallel port output to USB

Hi all,
    I have a DOS based program to program my Icom radio.
    The serial port radio programming aspects still work well under XP Pro with SP2 BUT:

The printer output in the software is to the parallel port.

As my printer is a USB printer "Houston we have a problem."

Is there any way the output to the Parallel port (LPT1) can be captured and redirected to the USB port (USB001).

I understand that the LPT1 port is a physical address and USB is a software port but surely there has to be a way to use a TSR or similar to capture and redirect.

Failing this does anyone know of a hardware adapter that will do the job between the parallel port and the USB printer. I know that USB to parallel adapters work but I haven't found any info on anything going the other way.

Regards John L.

Spacemannz

Default Re: redirect Parrallel port output to USB

Why not get a usb cable?? If u have USB ports?

Graham L

The fact that it's a DOS programme will probably kill it. It depends on how they programmed it. If they used hardware port addresses (a setup option which lets you choose between 3BC, 387, 278 for the printer address is a good indicator) you are probably out of luck.

Have you got a way to write to a file, rather than printing? That would be the most likely way to get around it.

How about a computer running DOS, and a real printer.? :O

george12

I don't think that's what he means.

But does your printer have a parallel port as well as USB? If not then you will probably have to go a hardware way, as DOS programs output directly to the hardware address, bypassing any chance to intercept and redirect the data.

A converter would not be easy as USB is serial, and parallel is of course parallel. However is there any way to 'print to file' in this DOS app? If so you can do this and send the file to the USB port.

HTH Cheers George

george12

> Have you got a way to write to a file, rather than printing?

Snap

John L.

Because the output from the program is directed to LPT:1 (The parrallel port) So a USB cable would achieve nothing.

I already have a USB cable running from the USB port to my USB printer but I can't get the output from the software to the USB port to make the USB cable useful.

John L.

Yes I had wondered after putting up the query about redirecting the printer output to a file via the > pipe command line arg. Then printing from there. This was certainly possible under DOS. It would then require editing in whatever editor I used to output it or else an intermediate filter to format it for appropriate input to wordperfect but it may be possible.

The problem is with having a Parrellel port is yes I do have a parrellel port but no printer to run off it these days.

John L.

>>How about a computer running DOS, and a real printer.?

I still have a real printer (actually a M.F.C.) which used to run under either DOS or win98 but guess what? It is a serial not a parrellel and also there are no XP drivers for it. Nor does Brother plan on writing any for it. None of the work arounds that I know of for this one work either.

"Toyota!!!"

Thanks anyway all for your input.

Regards John L.
    Napier.

Peter H

A quick Google showed up a few. Search - with the quote marks "parrallel to usb"
    Bye

Curly

Ah, just wondering John L, is this printing required to print QSL card data?

As an Icom programing device and Log, I use YPLOG, which as far as I know outputs to serial.