Ron24

Default Internet Explorer

Having a problem with IE and wish to reinstall it.
    The question is, can I reinstall over the top of the existing one.
    Using XPpro and IE6.
    Ron.

Murray P

Default Re: Internet Explorer

What is the problem? a re-installation or repair may make not difference.

Speaking off repair, have you tried to repair IE by going to, Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > IE add/remove button > Repair Installation. The presenation may differ slightly for you but the basics remain.

Knee jerk coming up: Have you considered using a different browser such as, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla (full suite with emal, etc), Opera? They pose less of a security risk than IE and it's email companion Outlook Express (OE).

Cheers Murray P

Misty

Hi Murray
    I am using Firefox now (and loving it !). If I started using Thunderbird as well, then what would be the difference between that combination instead of using the full suite Mozilla please ? Does the full suite part which deals with emails match more with Outlook rather than Outlook Express perhaps ?
    Misty ?:|

Murray P

> Does the full suite part which deals with emails match more with
    > Outlook rather than Outlook Express perhaps ?
    > Misty ?:|

No, different but more like OE than MS Outlook. Both Thunderbird and Mozilla Mail do not try to be or have the scheduling, calendar or links to productivity suites (MS Office) that Outlook does. Although Mozilla does have a calendar and you can plug one into Thunderbird, their primary function is as an email client.

Having said that, I use Mozilla in Linux and being somewhat new to that environment, have not yet explored links and functionality to Open Office or the various KDE (desktop and shell front end) productivity app's. Someone else will know though plus whether there are viable, economical, alternatives to Outlook (is Outlook economic?), not Lotus Notes as far as I can tell.

Cheers Murray P

Ron24

Thanks for the reply Murray.
    The problem is that the links that come up in OE won't open in IE when clicked.
    I posted this problem some time ago and tried the fixes that were offered and none worked. The last possible suggestion was to reinstall IE, which I have been putting off doing.
    Have followed your suggestion to repair IE, but cannnot find anything about repair in the IE line of the Add/Remove in the control panel.
    Any suggestions..
    Ron24..

whiskeytangofoxtrot

You can't repair IE 6 in WXP.

First I would try a system file check.

Go Start --> Run --> "sfc /scannow" (note the space and without the ") --> Ok.

That'll repair missing system files etc etc...

I would suggest reinstalling OE as well, as the fault is actually with OE, not IE.

To reinstall IE in WXP you need to:

Download the IE6 insaller from the Microsoft Site.

1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.
    **To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

**To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
    5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
    6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

whiskeytangofoxtrot

Oh yeah... no responsibility for any system damage, data loss, hair loss, gangrene, itching or terrorism caused by the above registry editing shenanigans.

metla

why not just download the exe for IE,hit it and choose custom install,then make sure only outlook express is ticked?

Has to be easier,....

whiskeytangofoxtrot

> why not just download the exe for IE,hit it and
    > choose custom install,then make sure only outlook
    > express is ticked?

Doesn't work on XP.

Ron24

Thanks to all for the help, but the Registry is a "No No" for me. I tried the "System file check" but it needed the Service pack 2 disc and I don't have one and didn't know there was one. Have the standard XP pro disc that came with the computer.
    Regards Ron..