Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chemical Ali

Default Floppy disc drive not reading floppy discs

Win2000Pro
    Celeron 1.3GHz CPU
    256MB RAM

Floppy disc drive is recognized in "My Computer" and all controllers/device showing up okay under "Device Manager" but every time I insert a floppy disc it comes up with the message "Floppy disc not formatted, would you like to format now" (or words to that effect).
    Even if I do elect to format as it requests it won't complete a format anyway.
    Hve tried several floppy discs -- all with data on them -- and it won't read any of them!
    Have tried:
    1: Reinstalling VIA 4-in-1 drivers
    2: Uninstalling and then re-installing both the floppy drive and the floppy drive controllers
    3: Have even chucked in a new floppy drive
    without any success.
    Any chances as I'm ready to smash to flikkin thing out of sheer frustration!!

godfather

Default Re: Floppy disc drive not reading floppy discs

Does the BIOS report the right floppy drive?
    If it is set for 5.25" instead of 3.5" strange things could happen

Chemical Ali

I forgot to mention in my first message that i have checked this already.
    Any other suggestions?

godfather

Dud ribbon cable?

Chemical Ali

Consider unlikely as have tried two different cables and floppy drive being detected okay in "My Computer"

toddwilliams

I had same trouble.
    Turns out one of my children used floppy-disk as a money box and stuffed a 50cent piece in the slot.
    Have a look inside floppy. Even a piece of paper can stop it from reading disks.
    Worth a crack

Chemical Ali

It now has a new floppy drive in there and still not working properly so no issues with 'foreign objects' at all.
    Anyone else with a solution???

Sb0h

Maybe you should try repairing your Win2K install....possible it is corrupt. It's obviously not the drive or the disks so I'd look at Windows next.

JJJJJ

I had exactly the same problem with a brand new floppy and a brand new computer. I tried all the ususl things but nothing worked. I pulled out the drive and inserted one at least five years old. It worked perfectly and is still running well.
    So I would say a faulty floppy drive.
    Jack

Advocar

Errors can occur for various reasons so check following basic,s first. It will only take 10 min or so and a positive mind set and you will fix the problem, perhaps not the first time but 2nd or 3rd etc.

Set PC to boot and change to access "A or floppy" drive first, save changes then restart PC with no disk in floppy.

After initial start PC should access floppy, Led light come, and some noise should be heard from the motor before it starts rest of bootup.

IF not 100%, turn PC off.
    Disconnect power supply cable to floppy and check no broken pins and is pushed on corectly. Check ribbon cable at floppy as well. Then check ribbon to motherboard. It is easy to pull plug off one edge of pins when playing around inside PC box and it looks OK so unplug and check carefully. Make sure both cable ends are secure and clips firm and not unclipped. It is easy to think you have it on OK but offset slighty. If all looks OK then check voltage at power plug at floppy. If you follow power supply cable it is generally connected to a larger plug which may be connected to a hard drive. If not plug it into one to test power supply. If it is running it is unlikely your main power supply is not 100% The above items must be OK for it to have any show of working. Leds dont normally fail. The boot up sequence to this stage is very robust so unless you have a hard drive failure boot up software should not be an issue.

Floppy drive access can vary over time between one another so if you have a boot disk formated from one floppy drive it may work OK on that PC but not work on another PC old floppy. One trick is to format the floppy on your PC then files coppied onto it from another PC are more likely to be able to be copied onto your PC.

Find your dos boot floppy you created from your PC (you did make one and tested it didnt you before you needed it?) and put it in the drive.
    This should boot up in to DOS as all the files the PC needs will be on it. If you dont have one make one or borrow one from another PC

Check your new floppy is a 1.44 and not a new unused 740 one.

Go to It