beetle

Default How do i get rid of Winzip as Default?

it seems this prog is back to plague me, have no idea but every time i try to open zipped files Winzip pops up and says it is not registered, etc i need to register for a free evaluation sample blah blah blah.

i just want a simple prog to do this, and last time Susan B helped me, and now i cannot remember what i / we did. but it didnt involve Winzip, can i get rid of the bloody thing?????

cant remember, do i need another prog or should it unzip ok ? with another prog?

stupid little glitchy things have happened like this since the format........

ho hum

beetle

Chilling_Silently

Default Re: How do i get rid of Winzip as Default?

You can click "Use Evaluation Version", or register it..

Or check the File-Association FAQ here :-)

Chill.

beetle

hi Chill,

i dunno if you seen this one, but it does not say just use evaluation....
    it says agree or quit? or ordering info?

is this what you mean? if i click on agree its not going to do a big endless dribble on at me is it? wanting me to key in something ????

thanxs other wise Chill,

beetle bites the dust again. no mans land of info again.

beetle

metla

You can simply remove the program complety.

XP has built in suport for opening zip fiiles and for casual use is good enough that winzip isn't needed.

beetle

so im presuming it was installed nicely by the other drop kick of a puter man, who charged the earth and didnt fix a bloody thing then, and now i still find lovely little reminders of the episode????
    and i have been lucky not to constantly yell for you Metla....
    to help fix any more stuff ups.....he has not been neer it since, and neither have you and i still havent killed it yet...

add / remove progs be enough for this bestie???

and why can i not just open these things normally? need to go read a FAQ i think...tomorow.

thanxs people.

beetle

Chilling_Silently

Yes, WinXP Has its own built-in .zip capbilities, but keep WinZip...
    It handles so much more with such ease....

Just lick agree and you'll be taken to the main screen with your Archive ready for viewing/extracting etc.

It'll prompt you each time you open a .zip file to register it, but you can just click "agree" and continue on your merry way.

Its a small hassle for a brilliant application, and if you use it enough should consider purchasing :-)

Hope this helps

Chill.

beetle

LOL thanxs Chill,

just when it seems you have made up your mind on something someone else comes along to change it, and i still have winzip at mo due to calling it a night then.
    no biggie,

just find the thing annoying due to not having a choice of what prog to use.

beetle

Graham L

beetle --- all you have to do is right click on a .ZIP file, and select another programme, and select the "always use this programme for this type of file" box.

Unfortunately, you'll have to find one which understands how to decompress zip files. Phil Karn who developed this form of compression is dead now, but his company still exists ... you could try PKZip if you don't like WinZip. Or use the Windows decompressor. The Add/Remove Programs will get rid of WinZip if you decide to go that way.

WinZip is made by a commercial company. To stay in business they need money from people who buy their product. You get to try it, and according to the agreement,you pay for it if you want to use it after the trial period. They don't cripple it. They don't stop you using it after the trial period. They just nag you a little, in the hope you will pay for it.

tommy

> do i need another prog or should it unzip ok ? with another prog?

If you have Windows XP then you do not need Winzip. You can remove it either from the Uninstall menu on the Start Menu's Winzip folder if it is there, or you can use Windows Add/Remove Programs. Once it is removed all you need to do to open zipped files is right click on them in Windows Explorer and choose Extract All and follow the Wizard.
    Alternatively you can double click on a zip file and choose Extract All Files from the menu at the left side of the window.