Thread: Canon MV630i

caffy

Default Canon MV630i

Does anyone know if this camera is mini-dv format? It doesn't mention it on the Canon website (unless I've missed it).

I've heard that mini dv is the way to go, 8mm tapes are a thing of the past.

If it is - kewl, im buying it!

Also, does anyone have any comments on this model? I did consider buying a Sony, but this model seems to have more features like 20x optical zoom, compared to the Sony 10x optical zoom which is more expensive.

Thanks,
    caffy

Graham L

Default Re: Canon MV630i

"canon mv630i" to google found some reviews. The very first link answers your questions. B-)

It is mini DV. But as far as I can see, it doesn't record movies. There's a lot to be said for having an 8mm tape drive in the box, to record movies. ;-)

The removable memory just saves stills. For video, you use the IEEE1394 cable to the computer.

caffy

it must record movies, because why would it be called a digital VIDEO camera...?

I am getting firewire for whichever camera i buy, because USB is too slow or something.

Also gonna get a DVD writer sometime...

Graham L

All right, I thought so too. But the specifications say it can be a webcam, and things like: "Memory Card: MMC : YES, SD :YES, Movies REC : NO".
    They don't say how long you can record for.

You got me curious. A link on the seventh page of google output gives the recording time as 60 min using MPEG2 compression. ;-)

Perhaps they take it for granted that we will take it for granted.